FORUMS: list search recent posts

PPro Proxy Workflow for DJI OSMO

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Martinez
PPro Proxy Workflow for DJI OSMO
on Dec 1, 2016 at 3:51:37 pm

Hi, I'm currently having an issue where when I try to create proxies from DJI OSMO Footage to DNxHD36 I receive an error stating: The selected preset does not support the audio channel type of the clip...

If I right click on the clip and click on properties the following is listed for audio:
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Mono
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono

In the audio codec settings for the DNxHD36 AKA DNxHD LB I can only select uncompressed stereo 16bit...

If I try to create proxies of the same footage to H.264 it works just fine because I believe that it's cause H.264 has the ability to re-encode the audio.

Also, I noticed that if I just drag these clips to AME and select my preset it encodes them to DNxHD just fine but PPro does not allow me to attach those proxies to clips.

Can anyone help?

PS. I have the latest Premiere Pro CC.
PPS. I have the same issue with iPhone 6s 4k video clips.

Return to posts index

Trent Happel
Re: PPro Proxy Workflow for DJI OSMO
on Dec 2, 2016 at 1:26:51 am

You are running into audio requirements for the current supported Proxy workflows.
1) When creating Proxies, the preset format must support the audio channelization for encode. This can be verified in Export Media > Export Settings, go to each Format, click on Audio tab and see what Audio Channels each supports. DNxHD OP1a only supports Stereo and multiple channels, it does not support single mono. As you have already found, H.264 does support single Mono. QuickTime also supports it.
2) The audio channelization of the Proxy clip must match the Full Res clip. When you exported via AME, the default audio channelization setting is Stereo and does not have Proxy requirements, so it transcodes your clip from Mono to Stereo. Since the clip exported via AME is Stereo, you cannot attach it to your Full Res that has Mono audio.

Some additional information on Proxy support can be found at:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/ingest-proxy-workflow-premiere-pro-...

Hope this helps.

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Roberto Martinez
on Dec 2, 2016 at 2:35:48 am

Hey Trent,
Everything you said makes sense.
Can you recommend any proxy codecs that would work with my footage?
Or is there a way in Premiere pro To trick it to being a stereo file?
Maybe this is something that can be accomplished in the interpret footage window?

Return to posts index

Trent Happel
on Dec 2, 2016 at 3:06:35 am

If you want to stick with DNxHD, you can always use Format: QuickTime > Video Codec: DNxHR/DNxHD. QuickTime ProRes (encode only on Mac) and CineForm are also possible options.

There is no way to trick it, AFAIK (the requirement for matching audio channels is to avoid possible audio issues). The source clip's audio is checked for Proxy clip compatibility, so changes made by Modify > Audio Channels would not change that.

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Roberto Martinez
on Dec 2, 2016 at 3:15:40 am

Yes, I'd like to stick to a ingest preset that can encode on Mac and PC.

I did notice that prores didn't have that issue.. but now that I have Desktop PC that's not an option since windows can't encode.

I did try cineform but it gave me the same issue.
Can you elaborate on the cineform settings I would need to use.

By the way I noticed that I can't use cineform as a proxy thru the ppro create proxy settings IT only appears as a transcode preset option..

Return to posts index

Trent Happel
on Dec 2, 2016 at 3:31:20 am

If you are using Ingest Settings, set to Create Proxies and there should be 3 default GoPro CineForm presets that may work for you.

If you are creating a custom preset, make sure that you do not have Match Source set for frame size and frame rate in your Encoding preset. If both of these are set to Match Source, then it can only be used as a Transcode preset. For Proxy, uncheck the Match Source checkbox next to Width & Height and set the desired frame size for your Proxy (leave the rest of the settings checked for Match Source). There is a note on this in the Help doc link I posted in earlier post.

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Roberto Martinez
on Dec 2, 2016 at 4:04:48 am

The three default GoPro presets don't work for me because I want to edit my 4K footage in a 1080 sequence for mastering to 1080..
is there anyway to modify one of those GoPro cineform sequences..
I would only be changing the width and height to some 1080p since that matches my UHD frame size best

Return to posts index

Trent Happel
on Dec 2, 2016 at 5:00:07 am

There is no way to modify the default presets included. You will need to create a custom Ingest Proxy preset.

Start by going to AME and Create Encoding Preset. Set Format to QuickTime. Under Video tab, set Video Codec to GoPro CineForm (or other desired codec). Click Match Source button under Basic Video Settings. Uncheck the checkbox tot he right of Width & Height and enter 1920 for Width and 1080 for Height. Name Preset and click OK.

Now Create Ingest Preset. Give it a Preset Name. Check "Transcode files to Destination" and set your desired Destination. Set Format to QuickTime and under Preset, choose your preset you just created. Click OK.

In Premiere, import your custom Ingest preset in the Ingest Settings dialog by clicking the Add Ingest Preset button. By default, the presets are saved in your Documents > Adobe > Adobe Media Encoder > whatever version you used. e.g.: 11.0 > Presets.

More info on creating custom presets can be found at:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/ingest-proxy-workflow-premiere-pro-...

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Roberto Martinez
on Dec 2, 2016 at 5:59:53 am

Awesome, thanks but one last question since this would be a QuickTime container what happens if Apple completely drops support for quicktime? Would the file still work on a PC without QuickTime installed?

Return to posts index

Trent Happel
on Dec 2, 2016 at 2:53:30 pm

Premiere has native QuickTime support (does not require QuickTime to be installed) for a number of popular codecs. Without QuickTime installed on Windows, there is native Export support for Animation, DNxHR/DNxHD, DV, DVCPRO, GoPro CineForm, None and Uncompressed codecs.

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]