FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing transcoded XAVC footage in Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mirko Laflamme
Importing transcoded XAVC footage in Premiere
on Nov 28, 2016 at 10:43:05 am

I'm currently trying to edit some FS5 footage that I did not shoot. However, the person who did imported the XAVC files into Final Cut before giving them to me and converted them to .mov. It seems they were just re-wrapped, but when I try to import them into Premiere CC 2017, I get the "codec missing or unavailable" error message. I tried to convert the files but they are not even recognised by Handbrake. The other solution would be to edit with Final Cut Pro, but the workflow is very different and the edit should be completed fairly soon. Unfortunately he no longer has the original XAVC files. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Importing transcoded XAVC footage in Premiere
on Nov 28, 2016 at 6:31:50 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Nov 28, 2016 at 6:32:54 pm

Hi Mirko,

That person should absolutely have kept the raw footage, but if they didn't.

I'm guessing you're on Windows. FCP re-encodes to Prores, which is likely not installed on your machine.

Try this first, close Premiere, download/install Quicktime, then try to open the footage in Quicktime, if it needs Prores, it should guide to downloading it. Reopen Premiere and you should now be able to import the footage.

Apple used to have a download page for the codec, but I can no longer find it.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 28, 2016 at 6:57:49 pm

There's native Prores/Quicktime support in Premiere. That said they have deprecated some codecs from Quicktime when they have made their own decoder/encoder. Open the file in Quicktime and see what the file info says about the video track.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 29, 2016 at 2:10:05 am

this will tell you the fourcc data

https://mediaarea.net/nn/MediaInfo/Download/Mac_OS

Return to posts index

Mirko Laflamme
on Nov 29, 2016 at 8:23:01 am

This is what Quicktime tells me about the file. I think something went wrong in FCP when transcoding (though actually we-wrapping) it, since this isn't ProRes, but also not the original file (they have "Clip000x" names). I edited with proxies he made through FCP, all that's left to do now is replace those with the original files, but I get a "the importer reported a generic error" message... Very strange.

Return to posts index

Mirko Laflamme
on Nov 29, 2016 at 8:10:33 am

Hi Vince, I probably should've mentioned I'm on a Mac. Looking at the footage, it's got an XAVC codec with a .mov wrapper. Surprisingly, Premiere can't open it, despite it in theory being able to...

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 29, 2016 at 8:27:18 am

Then it's probably some proprietary mystery codec that only Apple uses.

Return to posts index

Mirko Laflamme
on Nov 29, 2016 at 9:12:58 am

It's all very weird, he ended up transcoding it all into ProRes through FCP and it works now!

Return to posts index

chris ndlovu
The selected audio and video devices may not match
on Nov 29, 2016 at 8:36:36 am

Hi there, I need help with FCP. I am working on FCP 7 and I may have messed up my settings now I receive an error message when I try edit to tape that says The selected audio and video devices may not match: -Apple FireWire Pal (720x576) -Default.

Any idea how I can solve this.

Thanks,

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]