FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxy Workflow for Documentary

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Spooner
Proxy Workflow for Documentary
on Nov 2, 2016 at 4:10:31 am

Hey all-

I am currently working on a feature length documentary. There is ALOT of footage and I made the mistake of trans coding everything to 1920x1080 Apple Pro Res 422 HQ right from the camera. I guess my first question is, do I need to make 1280x720 proxies? It's not that much of a downgrade, but I am editing on a laptop and there's just a lot of footage that I am working with. I am doing it more so for storage.

Also, when I am manually ingesting the 1920x1080 footage to make the proxies, the file extensions for example are "1140_Proxy.mov". That file name is not going to match the original high res footage so I need to go in manually and delete "proxy" from each file name. Is there any way in Premiere Pro and/or Media Encoder to change the output name so I don't have to manually delete it from each file?

Any tips or tricks for documentary editing in Premiere Pro is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Proxy Workflow for Documentary
on Nov 2, 2016 at 7:14:38 am

[Ken Spooner] " I guess my first question is, do I need to make 1280x720 proxies?"

Can your machine handle the full HD prores files? If yes then I'd say no. Work with your transcoded files.

[Ken Spooner] " I am doing it more so for storage."

If you're worried about storage then making proxies will take more space in addition to the transcoded full quality files.

[Ken Spooner] "That file name is not going to match the original high res footage so I need to go in manually and delete "proxy" from each file name."

The latest Premiere has a built in proxy function so you don't have to manually do anything: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/proxy-media.html

Return to posts index

Ken Spooner
on Nov 2, 2016 at 1:22:55 pm

I have one Hi-Res 8TB drive with zero space left and I have one 2TB Proxy drive where I am taking the high res stuff and ingesting it into folders onto there via Premiere Pro (I am doing this all before I start editing).

I guess my question is, when I'm making proxies and putting them on a separate drive to edit with, how are they going to automatically connect? Will I need both drives plugged in to edit? Right now, I feel that I am making everything a lot harder on myself.

The workflow I'm leaning towards is offline editing but with 1920x1080 HQ do I need to do that?

Return to posts index

Trent Happel
on Nov 2, 2016 at 2:27:19 pm

If you are using Ingest > Create Proxies, then the Proxies will automatically attach to your Full Res/Hi Res clip(s). You can note the Proxy encode progress in the Progress panel. If you set the Project panel to List View and add the Proxy metadata column, you see the status of Proxies for each clip (Attached, Offline or blank. Blank = no Proxy is attached).

If you took your Hi Res drive offline, your Project will still display Proxies since the Proxy drive is online. If you bring your Hi Res drive back online (and nothing has been moved), Premiere may automatically relink your Hi Res/Full Res clips to the Proxies. If it does not, on Project open it will provide a Link Media dialog asking to relink the clips. The other option to relink is to use Proxy > Reconnect Full Resolution Media.

FYI: the Proxies are created with _Proxy appended to the file name, as that is what Premiere is looking for to automatically attach when Proxies go Offline, so don't rename your Proxy file names.

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Trent Happel
on Nov 2, 2016 at 3:00:38 pm

And additional information on Ingest and Proxy workflow can be found at: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/ingest-proxy-workflow-premiere-pro-...

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]