FORUMS: list search recent posts

Source timecode search from sequence

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tibor Riddering
Source timecode search from sequence
on Oct 28, 2016 at 9:52:32 pm

I am very new to Premiere from Avid.
I have dug around google and These forums but found no answer to this question yet; but sorry if it does exist.
And sorry if I tend to use Avid terms, this is just because it is my default language; I am wanting to learn and willing to make mistakes!

When working with a single camera shoot I tend to drop all the footage on one timeline; makes it easier to navigate without having to double click each clip to open. This I will call my "Source Sequence".
Imagine the shoot is over a whole day, and the camera is buttoned on and off multiple times.
In Avid I could "Auto sequence" which would make a Source Sequence that has long breaks in it but uses source timecode as sequence timecode, or I could just throw all the clips on a timeline (sequence) and that would have source timecode jumps, but no black holes, and sequence timecode would start at 1:00:00:00.

So next my Director gives me a script that has timecodes from source.

In Avid I can load the Source Sequence in the source monitor, and set the timecode to look at V1 (source timecode).
Then I just need to type in timecodes from the script (into source monitor) and I get to jump to that part of the Source Sequence .
And I can edit in the grab the director wants, and also I can look around that area to see cutaways for the cut.
So what Avid does is ignore Sequence timecode, and will let me work with source timecode.

Now in Premiere so far I have found how to load the Source Sequence into the timeline (Shift+3), and I can edit from one timeline (or sequence in PPCC) to another.
I even found how to get the timecode window to display source timecode (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1276760).
But I can't seem to search for source timecode from the Source Sequence ; it will only let me search for the sequence timecode.

I hope this makes sense.
My problem is searching source timecode in a sequence.

It may exist, or it may be that I need to adapt my workflow for Premiere.
So any suggestions of this would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Source timecode search from sequence
on Oct 29, 2016 at 7:21:41 am

You can't search in a timeline but you can search for a specific timecode in the source media by using the project panel search box.

[Tibor Riddering] "I even found how to get the timecode window to display source timecode"

You can also see the source timecodes by using the info panel or turning on the overlays. Right click on program window -> show overlays. The overlays are customizable.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
Re: Source timecode search from sequence
on Oct 29, 2016 at 6:37:52 pm

BTW, there's a thread here about inconsistency between Premiere timecode and code with other software. Is your producer using Premiere to view timecode? Maybe to-the-frame precision is not so important.
See: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/991047#991309

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]