FORUMS: list search recent posts

Major upgrade for my premiere setup

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Kukla
Major upgrade for my premiere setup
on Oct 27, 2016 at 8:15:04 pm

I've been on premiere pro 4 with a mbp17 for quite a while now. The mbp17 is starting to get finicky and operating system upgrades are tricky.

Time for a new system.
First, it MUST be a laptop, I travel.

Second, can I swing over to pc and keep using all my old files? I know the project files would be toast; I'm talking old clips, artwork, music, templates, etc that I loaded onto external hard drives that are formatted for my mac.

I suspect the safe approach will be to stick with a mbp, maybe the new one.

I am using 3 external hd drives. One for original video clips, second for templates, music and other stock items, third for scratch disc. New mbp come with fewer ports. Do I still need an external scratch disc?

Anything else I should be considering with an upgrade? My edits are fairly simple and for web use. I do expect to go to CC altho I hate the subscription model. Might consider a jump to FCP.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Major upgrade for my premiere setup
on Oct 27, 2016 at 8:51:41 pm

If backward compatibility and repurposing/reediting past projects is important to you then staying in Mac should be one of your most important considerations. Nothing is insurmountable, but you'll be forced to deal with a lot of stuff that would otherwise be a no-brainer if you stick with a MBP.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
Re: Major upgrade for my premiere setup
on Oct 27, 2016 at 8:54:57 pm

David
Thnx.
Yea, figured that would be the case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]