FORUMS: list search recent posts

Inconsistent Frames From Smartphone...what?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego Garcia
Inconsistent Frames From Smartphone...what?
on Oct 27, 2016 at 2:25:37 am

So I've tried rendering a video with both vegas and premiere, but I keep getting these strange hiccups upon playing the video after rendering.

When I inspect the clips which were all shot with a galaxy note 5, the frame rate varies from 29-30 and everywhere in between!

I've never heard of this before. I'm almost sure this is why the video is stuttering because if I render it out with 60fps, it lessens dramatically.

What do I do now?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Inconsistent Frames From Smartphone...what?
on Oct 27, 2016 at 5:52:12 am

Have you tried 59.94?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Diego Garcia
on Oct 27, 2016 at 12:57:47 pm

Yeah, and actually the stutters are much less apparent with this frame rate... But does this appear to be my only option?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 27, 2016 at 3:03:55 pm

My guess is that you're dealing with variable frame rate footage. Smart phones are notorious for using this trick. Why? I gess the file size is smaller. If you transcode the video, forcing it into a constant frame rate, you'll probably see minor variations in the speed of the motion. That's the way it was shot. You're stuck.

There are video camera apps for smart phones that force them to shoot consistent frame rates. You should look into getting one. Or perhaps a camera that doesn't take phone calls.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Diego Garcia
on Oct 27, 2016 at 3:22:09 pm

Gotcha. I might go for one of those 3rd party apps that records at a constant frame rate then.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Oct 27, 2016 at 10:00:32 pm

Hi Diego,

What others have said is true. Premiere Pro doesn't handle variable frame rate footage all that well especially on longer duration clips. This is something we would like to address in a future update as more and more mobile devices are being used at a profession level.

Feel free to add a feature request for it here if you'd like: http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

As Chris mentioned, Handbreak is a good tool. There's lots of tutorials out there on how to use it. This is one I've found in a quick search:

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Oct 27, 2016 at 7:11:15 pm

As I think I'd mentioned before, even Wirecast used to do this until quite recently.

For something that called itself a professional product, that was unconscionable.

They've since fixed it, still, I've grayed some of my hair by having to pull up sync behind PPT slides every so often just to be able to come back to video and audio playing well together.

Oh well, at least it didn't do vertical video.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 27, 2016 at 8:23:40 pm

Adobe recommends the free tool handbrake. To constant framerate.

Not to be confused with constant bitrate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]