FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to interpret 59.94i from a Canon Vixia G40 in Premiere Pro - Interlacing Issues

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bitterman
How to interpret 59.94i from a Canon Vixia G40 in Premiere Pro - Interlacing Issues
on Oct 26, 2016 at 7:47:04 pm

So I've tried everything to get this footage interpreted properly, including transcoding to various formats, and everything I get comes out looking like the screen below (including in the program monitor previews as well as exports) showing the interlacing.

It's AVCHD 24MBPS LPCM 59.94i

I've tried 29.97 upper first, I'm tried reversing field order, etc. Only in conforming to progressive do I loose the interlacing but I also lose quality from what I can see.

I've tried presets for 1080i, etc.

I just cannot figure out what I'm doing here and I'm on a tight deadline to process this footage. Can anyone help me?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to interpret 59.94i from a Canon Vixia G40 in Premiere Pro - Interlacing Issues
on Oct 26, 2016 at 7:49:52 pm

Interlacing is something that only TV's display properly. If this is intended for the web, you need to deinterlace. That's the only option here. If you are going to be shooting for the web, you need to be shooting progressive, not interlaced.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Bitterman
Re: How to interpret 59.94i from a Canon Vixia G40 in Premiere Pro - Interlacing Issues
on Oct 26, 2016 at 7:54:58 pm

Thanks much shane, we will for sure note that. I usually do motion stuff when I'm in the video world and almost never deal with acquisition, however in this case I'm stuck with it. Is there any recommendation for transcoding this type of footage, or a method of dealing with it, such as the conform to progressive I mentioned? When I conform to progressive do I not just drop some frames, or whats the best approach here?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:28:55 pm

[David Bitterman] "When I conform to progressive do I not just drop some frames, or whats the best approach here?"

You aren't dropping frames, you are losing fields. 1080i59.94 runs at 29.97fps...30fps. When you talk interlaced, the number represents FIELDS per second. There are two fields in a frame, and 30 fps at 29.97..so 59.94 is the number. If you deinterlace this you basically eliminate one field, and fill that information in with the remaining one. It does cut the resolution, the quality, because you are losing a whole half of that frame. I knew of "smart deinterlacers" that helped with this, but that was for FCP Legacy....years ago. Not sure the best approach in premiere, today.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:52:12 pm

I'm not sure what the actual problem is...where are you viewing this that you see the interlacing? And how do you intend to deliver?

I've been working with 1080i clips almost exclusively for many years. I edit in a 1080i Sequence in Premiere, and when exporting for the web, choose H.264 > 1080p29.97 or 720p29.97, end of story. Nothing to interpret or deinterlace, happens on export.

1080i is always Upper Field First, never change that to lower.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

David Bitterman
on Oct 26, 2016 at 9:02:45 pm

Hi Jeff,

It's funny how something hits you over the head. We were outputting to web h264 but using the HQ+Match Source setting. Switching the field to "progressive" on output removes the interlacing we're seeing.

Does this have the net effect Shane was mentioning above, of throwing out half of the fields? Is there a more advanced procedure to retain some quality (plug-in, app, or otherwise), or is the solution simply "don't shoot interlaced if your destination is not designed for it"?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 26, 2016 at 9:44:48 pm

Don't use Match Source, that will literally try as best as possible to match the format of the source video.

Try using H.264 > YouTube 1080p29.97

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]