FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to resize this video to make it fit inside the PNG television set?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Wijnaendts
How to resize this video to make it fit inside the PNG television set?
on Oct 21, 2016 at 6:42:54 pm

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: How to resize this video to make it fit inside the PNG television set?
on Oct 21, 2016 at 7:58:33 pm

Under Motion > Scale, uncheck Uniform Scaling, then you can change the X and Y settings independently, since it looks like you need to make the image a bit taller. But really, if you want it to fit the shape of the screen which is rounded on the sides, I would create a Mask in Photoshop and use that to precisely fit the video to look realistic.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 21, 2016 at 8:08:28 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 21, 2016 at 8:09:23 pm

Oops! Wrong forum.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 21, 2016 at 8:14:09 pm

This is the simple way, but doesn't look very good. If you post the TV graphic without the video on it, I can maybe build the mask from it for you

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 21, 2016 at 8:24:34 pm

Funny thing, I just did a Google Image search for "old tv" and found...your exact TV! Except this one already had the alpha channel, just put it on top of the video and voila!

Return to posts index

Thomas Wijnaendts
on Oct 21, 2016 at 8:37:09 pm

Thank you for replying so soon! So all I do is place the PNG television on top of the video? What does the alpha channel do? I'm sorry, still pretty new to editing so really don't know all that much. I usually use Youtube tutorials when I'm stuck but couldn't really find a good one for this...

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 21, 2016 at 9:17:46 pm

Video and still images typically use RGB color, Red-Green-Blue, and those 3 channels mix to produce all the colors. Sometimes you want parts of the image to be transparent, for instance putting a title or logo graphic on top of the video. In this case, an fourth layer, or alpha channel is added to the image or video and this layer simply determines the level of transparency for each pixel - opaque, invisible, or somewhere in between.

So the PNG of the still image of TV that was uploaded has alpha channel - the TV screen area and area surrounding the TV cabinet will be transparent. Put your background image (the room) on Video 1, put video clip on Video 2, the put the TV graphic on Video 3. The center of the TV is "cut out" and the video beneath will show through the hole.

Of course, use Motion Effect (Position and Scale) on layers 2 and 3 to size and align them as needed.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 21, 2016 at 8:24:43 pm

This would be dead simple in After Effects.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Thomas Wijnaendts
on Oct 21, 2016 at 8:40:15 pm

I also have After Effects so if there's a solution there, that would work as well.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 21, 2016 at 9:17:50 pm

Sure: the video layer goes below the TV set layer. Make a mask on the TV layer to cut a hole where the picture goes. Scale & position the video layer to taste. Since it's 16x9 and the TV set's 4x3 you may have to crop the sides with a mask.

Masking is a lot easier in AE than PP. But it does take patience to get it right. Don't expect miracles if this is your first time in AE. It'll take a while to get this right.... but you get better.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Thomas Wijnaendts
on Oct 21, 2016 at 10:33:04 pm

Thank you Dave and Jeff, I got it to work on PP! Was easier than I thought it would be!:)

Thomas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]