FORUMS: list search recent posts

Embedding Footage?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fritz O'Brien
Embedding Footage?
on Oct 2, 2016 at 7:47:24 am

G'day guys.
I'm struggling with the vocabulary on this so bear with me.

I am making a short film that uses lots of small snatches from a wide array of source footage.
This is likely to have about 20 x 5 second snatches from about 20 separate hour long television episodes (approx 1-4gb per episode).

I realise the whole point of non-destructive editing but I only have limited space on my drive and can't afford to keep 20x full episodes on the drive just to use 2-3 mins of footage across all of them.

What are my options here?
Is there any way to keep the footage between the in and out points and discard the rest?
Like you can embed a layer in Photoshop, and don't have to keep the original to link to.

This is probably pretty basic stuff, but then ...so am I ;)

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Fritz

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Embedding Footage?
on Oct 2, 2016 at 9:54:22 am

[Fritz O'Brien] "Is there any way to keep the footage between the in and out points and discard the rest?"

Export a new clip from the bit you want to use.

Or option B: Get more hard drive space.

Return to posts index

Fritz O'Brien
on Oct 2, 2016 at 10:05:28 am

Thanks mate.
When you say export, do you mean:
-Import original to separate project
-Trim it
-Export it
-Import it into new project
-Delete original file
-Repeat x20
?
There's no way to just:
Import files
Take what I need
Discard files and keep desired footage.
?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 3, 2016 at 3:09:18 pm

To import the un-cut footage, cut it, then save only the parts you want, you must have adequate storage in the first place. It sounds to me that lack of storage is your bottleneck. If you can't or don't want to get more storage, you're limited to importing, rough-cutting and exporting 20 times.

It's your choice.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Fritz O'Brien
on Oct 3, 2016 at 3:24:27 pm

Yeah Thanks mate.
I am limited in storage because I'm working on a surface Pro (only one USB port etc etc)
For what it's worth I found that using another little program to snip the footage first and then importing that file to Premiere is best- As Premiere puts the file in the cache, everything gets doubled up, and it eats up limited storage- you spend more time clearing caches and moving files around than doing work!
Thanks for the help guys :)

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Oct 5, 2016 at 6:20:06 pm

Sounds like you found a good solution, in the future you also may want to take a look at Adobe Prelude. You can ingest entire movie clips or a selected portion of the movie clips (partial ingest). You can also transcode the selected movie clips using more than one encoding option.

Here's a link to some more info:
https://helpx.adobe.com/prelude/using/prelude-projects.html

Best!

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]