FORUMS: list search recent posts

Phantom 4, 4k footage banding/interlaced in Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Coulter
Phantom 4, 4k footage banding/interlaced in Premiere
on Oct 1, 2016 at 4:42:34 pm

I just got my first drone. I was taking some test footage at a client's car dealership yesterday in 4k. When I imported the footage into Premiere, I got some kind of weird banding or interlacing issue. I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem with

1. The camera settings?
2. The footage?
3. How I'm dealing with it in Premiere?

I'm just importing the footage like normal, and then creating a timeline from a clip. I haven't changed my import settings (Renderer Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration, HDV).

Here is a clip where you can see the anomaly in the silver colored areas.

The weird thing is that the footage looks just fine when I open it in Windows 10, Movies and TV app (which I think is just the latest version of Windows Media Player).

I'd appreciate any ideas. It's no problem to go out and retake the footage, I just want to make sure I get this figured out first.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Phantom 4, 4k footage banding/interlaced in Premiere
on Oct 2, 2016 at 1:58:27 am

On my phone, it looks okay. Dolly back from a Mercedes dealership, right? Only aerial?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brad Coulter
on Oct 2, 2016 at 12:30:04 pm

That's right, Dave. If you get a minute, check it on a desktop and see if you see it. It's in the vertical and horizontal lines on the dealership.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 2, 2016 at 4:31:54 am

[Brad Coulter] "I'm just importing the footage like normal, and then creating a timeline from a clip. I haven't changed my import settings (Renderer Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration, HDV)."

Why are you set for HDV? Thats not even full raster HD, never mind 4K.

Try a 4k Preset and see if the results are better (GoPro Cineform or Avid DNXHR might be good choices).

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 2, 2016 at 9:52:28 am

The HDV setting in the project settings is only for the default capture method. It doesn't mean anything if you're not actually capturing something from tape.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Oct 4, 2016 at 5:55:14 pm

Hey Brad,

Are you on the latest version of PPro? Can you try disabling the GPU and test the results?

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Brad Coulter
on Oct 4, 2016 at 7:33:05 pm

Hi Peter - Yes, I'm on the latest version. I tried it without the GPU acceleration and got the same result. Something I have noticed is that in all my footage, it only appears in that gray/silver part of the building with the black vertical and horizontal lines.

Return to posts index

Brad Coulter
on Oct 4, 2016 at 8:59:45 pm

Just to test things out, I downloaded the free version of Davinci Resolve and it does the same thing. It still looks great in the generic Windows player, though. I'm stumped.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Oct 4, 2016 at 11:25:08 pm

Hi Brad - Would you mind providing a small sample file? Ps Glad to hear we're not the only editor acting funny :)

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Brad Coulter
on Oct 5, 2016 at 3:12:12 am

Ok. This is really, really weird.

I took one of the original files and uploaded it. Then, for comparison, I exported the same cut from Premiere so we could see the difference. The Premiere exported file now looks just like the original, no banding.

Then, to really put it to the test, I re-exported the exact clip that I posted to YouTube earlier in this thread. It looks great too. I don't think I changed anything in Premiere, but I'm not going to argue with success.

Return to posts index

Kevin Johnson
on Oct 5, 2016 at 2:30:17 pm

Are you talking about color banding or stepping in the horizontal lines/interlacing of the silver boxes?

DJI drones are notoriously bad with this as they are too sharp and none of their settings or framerates help in this matter. I usually have to take the footage to AE and apply a vertical only direction blur of a couple pixels to smooth it out. The youtube link looks good but if you put it up on an HD monitor you'll definitely see it.

Kevin Johnson

Autodesk Smoke Artist
FCP Editor
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

Brad Coulter
on Oct 5, 2016 at 3:32:33 pm

Thank you. Very helpful!

Yes. It's the interlacing in the silver boxes. I'll try the AE method you suggested. I'm glad to know I wasn't importing or rendering incorrectly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]