FORUMS: list search recent posts

Marking Up Regions and Trimming Multicamera Sequences

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Braddy
Marking Up Regions and Trimming Multicamera Sequences
on Sep 30, 2016 at 6:32:58 pm

Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster. I'm a long, long time Vegas editor in the midst of making the jump over to Premiere, so you might hear from me some more as I try to make this adjustment. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to translate a process I've become used to in Sony Vegas over to Premiere as best as possible.

I edit quite a few really long (60+ minutes) multi-camera productions of educational webcasts, usually just trimming up/improving performances of nervous presenters, fixing switching flubs that occurred during the live webcast, etc. My preferred method (inside of Vegas, which has its own quirks) is to assemble the multicamera project, then audit and make notes on everything, and then leap to those marked points and make the edits. I'm usually just shuttling forward with J, K, and L, setting in and out points and make regions of things to cut or tighten up, etc. It makes for a remarkably quick editing process as I can focus on one aspect of the process at the time. I also like to do this while watching all of the camera angles as I can quickly see/sometimes make easy camera changes/edits while marking up the more major edit points for the second-pass.

How to translate this method over to Premiere is not immediately clear. I can get up to the point where I have a multi-camera sequence, but as I start to go through my sequence, marking in/out and trying to set a marker, it just sets a marker at the playhead, instead of the marked up region. In the Marker window, I can see it's placed the marker, and has the options for an in and out point, and comments. I can after the fact go in and edit the marker with the correct in and out point (by having to stop, and copy and paste the timecode for each), or set a marker, and then manually shuttle the out point (or in point) to set my region. Either way, this seems like a remarkably inefficient process, so I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.

The help files I've found from Adobe about Premiere's marker system don't really seem to mention in/out/durations much. Is there perhaps a better article/resource I've overlooked, or am I possibly approaching this process from a Vegas mindset, and there's a better/more efficient way to achieve the same result inside of Premiere? (ie: making detailed edit notes on the entirety of a presentation before making any cuts?)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Marking Up Regions and Trimming Multicamera Sequences
on Sep 30, 2016 at 7:36:19 pm

This doesn't sound exactly like multicamera in PP, where you can import shots from multiple cameras shooting the same thing from different angles, you sync the clips up, then make cuts as you would punching to live cameras.

It sounds like you're talking about trimming up individual clips. I may have missed something.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Oct 1, 2016 at 9:42:58 am

I think you are correct in that PPro won't automatically translate in-out as a marker duration.
so there will have to be some manual entry....

something that might speed this up a little...

1) mark your in and out....your playhead is at the out point
2) add marker...(yes, at the out point)
3) in the program monitor, note the duration of the IN-OUT (lower right of the window)
4) in the marker panel select the IN of the marker and type "-" and whatever that duration is...so if the IN-OUT duration is 2:15....type -2.15 ..this will set the marker length to be equivalent of your current I/O duration....

of course if you are at the IN point you'd do the opposite...chose the maker OUT and type the standard duration...

(example 2:15 would be typed as 2.15)

but I don't think there is any getting away from some typing....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Oct 1, 2016 at 10:06:20 am

Here's something that might be useful.....

it's a bit of a hack...but maybe you can use it to speed up your work....

1) in your project panel create a new item > transparent video

2) in your sequence, add an additional video track....

3) place the transparent video in the newly created video track....and adjust it to the length of your sequence

4) lock all your video and audio tracks except the one containing the transparent video
(a quick way to do this is shift and click the lock icons to lock them all, then just unlock the transparent track)

now for the fun....

5) as you are playing or shuttling thru your sequence....you can use the "ADD EDIT" command via keyboard to split the transparent video as your sequence is playing. if you are using the default PPro shortcuts on windows I think it's ctrl+k

so play back and add edit points to this track....

6) now unlock all your tracks again

7) now notice (if the track patch is enabled in the sequence...that the track label to the right of the lock icon) that you can use the UP - DOWN arrows to navigate between edit points quickly.....i'd patch enable ONLY the track containing the transparent video....so any edits on the track below don't get confused in the navigating...

AND

you can use X key to mark the duration of (Mark IN-OUT) of any transparent segment you are parked on.

8) now you can just extract edit ( the ' key) or Ripple delete (Shift + Del) to remove sections you don't want.

I think it would be a bit faster way to work....but that's my opinion...

also....

PRACTICE THIS on duplicate sequence to get use to the workflow....so if you don't like it....you don't lose any of your work up to the point you tried it....

:)

hope that helps out some....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Amanda Braddy
on Oct 4, 2016 at 4:25:30 pm

Thank you so much, Alex! I think this little hack will work for my purposes as I get acclimated to the new editing environment.

I might submit the IN/OUT region as a feature request for Premiere. A bit of a long shot if they'll pick it up, but never hurts to try.

Return to posts index

Amanda Braddy
on Nov 3, 2016 at 10:12:19 pm

Alex, I just wanted to follow up after I've had a chance to work on this in a live project. Your method worked brilliantly! I was able to make the giant overall extraction edits on a 100+ minute video in about 30 seconds using the transparent video trick! I still have to go refine each of these cuts, but that's to be expected. That might even have been faster than my previous edits in Vegas. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]