FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding to DnxHD blah blah blah...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Transcoding to DnxHD blah blah blah...
on May 4, 2016 at 12:53:17 am

I just tried transcoding my .MOV files (h264) to the Dnx etc. codec and then working on them and PPro flies a lot smoother now. By doing this am I losing anything from the original .MOV file? With my lousy eyesight I can't see it myself, it looked pretty darn good, but then again I'm working with green screen so there's not a lot of detail to be lost.

Bottom line question, am I deteriorating the file by transcoding from h264 to DnxHD before working on it and finally exporting as h264 later?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Transcoding to DnxHD blah blah blah...
on May 4, 2016 at 2:13:49 am

There are numerous "flavors" of the DNX codec Duke, and to answer your question you'll have to tell us which one you're transcoding to, otherwise we'd be quessing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on May 4, 2016 at 2:46:03 am

It's the one that's included in Premiere Pro cc 2015. DNxHR/DNxHD MXF OP1A

I did some research and found an article that mentions that it's common practice, doesn't degrade the file, and makes editing a bit smoother. It doesn't suggest at all that it will uncompress h264, I'm not saying that. Again, I'm a simple man trying to make things easier for myself.

Is that enough information for you regarding the codec?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 4, 2016 at 3:59:37 am
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on May 4, 2016 at 4:02:05 am

It sounds fine Duke, though I'm not familiar with that version of the DNX codec - typically, you will see a number associated with the DNX codecs, such DNX 135, 185, 225, etc. But the odds are you'll be just fine transcoding to the one you mentioned.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]