FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro CC no longer compatible with New Mac Pro running 10.9.3

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Silberfarb
Premiere Pro CC no longer compatible with New Mac Pro running 10.9.3
on Jun 3, 2014 at 12:41:08 pm

Since the release of Mavericks 10.9.3 Premiere Pro will no longer run on late 2013 Mac Pro's with AMD FirePro GPUs.

Specifically: Using Premiere with 10.9.3 will cause glitching in playback (horizontal lines and computer freezing) as well as break your ability to export sequences. Contrary to rumors of work-arounds, at this time, there are NO KNOWN FIXES.

It is on Adobe to acknowledge this and until a fix is found remove from it's compatibility listing AND provide a general alert.

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
Re: Premiere Pro CC no longer compatible with New Mac Pro running 10.9.3
on Jun 3, 2014 at 7:29:00 pm

Have you tried turning off OpenCL and using software only for exports. I know, not the answer you want to hear, but maybe a temp fix till Apple pushes out 10.9.4 and or Adobe pushes out a new update.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Ben Silberfarb
on Jun 3, 2014 at 7:47:22 pm

Hi Andy,

Yes - this is a common suggestion, but unfortunately does not work. Note also that the beta release of 10.9.4 (available to developers of which I am one) does not fix these compatibility issues. Blackmagic's Resolve has also been taken out by Apple's recent update (10.9.3).

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Jun 3, 2014 at 8:47:46 pm

Hi Ben,

Ok, sorry not much help on my part then. Guess we are all on hold till the next Premiere update and or Apple pushes out a fix. I just time machined one of our new Mac Pro's w/ 10.9.2 so I can go back.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Jun 4, 2014 at 3:03:27 pm

I have others reporting 10.9.4 beta fixes the hardware acceleration on playback and export. Do you use 3rd party FX?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Ben Silberfarb
on Jun 4, 2014 at 4:03:39 pm

All 3rd party plug-ins are disabled and still glitchy as hell with beta 10.9.4. Below screen grab of typical export errors.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Jun 4, 2014 at 4:52:52 pm

The source monitor is just the player. There is no acceleration going on there anyway. This is something else. What media is that?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Ben Silberfarb
on Jun 4, 2014 at 5:38:07 pm

Yes - an exported source file with glitches from corruptions during export. The export was from an image sequence to 4k ProRes HQ. Most of the time Premiere will simply crash on export and not just time lapses/image sequences - most exports to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Jun 4, 2014 at 8:00:37 pm

I started experiencing these problems after the 10.9.3 upgrade a couple of days ago. I was able to resolve by switching off the GPU in Premiere, quitting out, deleting Premiere prefs, deleting Premiere render files, emptying the trash (had to force empty with Onyx to get rid of one of the Adobe prefs), restarting. Then it works again.

I'm also having some audio and stability issues in Premiere and Audition since the 10.9.3 update with my BMD Ultrastudio 4K. I tried rolling back the driver but to no avail so I took it offline until there's a fix.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 4, 2014 at 9:40:48 pm

Thanks for reporting, Brad.

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Alexander Føsund
on Jan 19, 2015 at 8:54:43 am

Thanks Brad Bussé!
This solved my problem with my Fullscreen problem at my MacBook Pro Late 2013.
Before the fullscreen went white, and everything started to freeze.
I only switched off the GPU :)

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 4, 2014 at 10:00:15 pm

Hi Ben,

[Ben Silberfarb] "Since the release of Mavericks 10.9.3 Premiere Pro will no longer run on late 2013 Mac Pro's with AMD FirePro GPUs."

So sorry you're experiencing issues. Others have also reported the problems you are having. However, everything is functioning normally for many users. That's the vexing thing. We do know about the issues you mentioned and are working with our partners to get a fix out for those users ASAP.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Ben Silberfarb
on Jun 4, 2014 at 10:34:06 pm

Hi Kevin;

Good to know Adobe is working on this.

Interesting that you're hearing that some users are not experiencing this? I know of nobody running 10.9.3 that does not have this problem... but of course do not have the pool of interactions that you do. Note that there are some recent examples of users on forums initially saying they did not, but upon further tests they do.

Regardless - please pass along any thoughts, ideas or fixes.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 4, 2014 at 11:22:49 pm

Hi,
Yes, over on the Adobe forum a user, Jason Van Patton indicates no issues with 10.9.3. He's also trying to help me troubleshoot since he's got a working system: https://forums.adobe.com/message/6409546#6409546

One user solved some of his issues here by resetting permissions, clearing cache and going software only mode: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1489922

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Ben Silberfarb
on Jun 4, 2014 at 11:44:58 pm

Kevin - Please contact Jason, it turns out he has the same problems as those that have been reported. If you don't have his email I can give it to you.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 5, 2014 at 6:33:41 pm

Hi,
I believe he had problems with your specific footage. Can you do a test with other footage?

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

David Brumbley
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:27:23 am
Last Edited By David Brumbley on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:28:14 am

Also make sure "render at Maximum Depth" and "Use Maximum Render Quality" are unchecked.

This made premiere work for me without error, and I was having the same errors with those two checked.

Hope it helps you too

Return to posts index

Ben Silberfarb
on Jun 6, 2014 at 12:30:43 pm

Kevin - this is not a footage problem. It is a problem with Premiere Pro. Adobe need to acknowledge this.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 6, 2014 at 4:36:57 pm

Hi Ben,
Sorry if you misunderstood. We acknowledge the issue, it's just not happening for everyone. The footage you gave him displayed the issue, his own footage did not. Hope that is clearer.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Ryan Christensen
on Jun 7, 2014 at 7:26:18 pm

I just wanted to chime in here and say this is issue has struck me as well. I spent days trying to render and export from Premiere without the horizontal lines and the hard freezes that crash my nMac Pro. When I am under deadline and have to deliver, I really want to to be able to trust Adobe and my Mac to perform. In this case Adobe and Apple have failed. So frustrating.

Return to posts index

Brian Dow
on Jun 7, 2014 at 8:04:11 pm

My 2-cents, also. I am experinceing the same issues with nMP(10.9.3) with AJA ioXT.

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Jun 10, 2014 at 1:32:45 pm

I am also experiencing this same problem with the new Mac Pro. I am also using the workaround of turning off the GPU Acceleration and using software only.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 11, 2014 at 8:03:49 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Monahan on Jun 11, 2014 at 8:04:30 pm

Brian, and all,
We know about this issue and are working with our partners at Apple and AMD for a fix. The workaround for this problem is to change your Mercury Playback Engine to "Software Only." Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 11, 2014 at 8:09:15 pm

Hi Ryan,
Have you switched the Mercury Playback Engine to "Software Only?" That should help you get an output done, at least.

[Ryan Christensen] " In this case Adobe and Apple have failed. So frustrating."

Keep in mind that other software, like BlackMagic Resolve, are also experiencing anomalies on OS X 10.9.3.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Peter Price
on Jun 12, 2014 at 3:20:17 am

Are users running into this issue just on the new Mac Pros, or do these issues also show up on other Macintosh models?

Return to posts index

Jan Pfitzner
on Jun 13, 2014 at 10:01:41 pm

We did some tests with the current generation of iMacs with the integrated GTX 780 M 4GB with an older CUDA driver (5.x). 10.9.3 doesn't affect these iMacs under the circumstances we tested them (multiple Renderings out of PP CC and Resolve). With my personal MacPro 6,1 I stayed at 10.9.2 for the above reasons, since any OpenCL Card (300,500,700) seems to be affected by the new AMD drivers Apple implemented in 10.9.3. Since I need my Pro every day for video production, I won't jump to another version until 10.9.4 is out for some weeks, which will be in this fall approximately, but some users have reported that 10.9.3 fixes these issues, at least in the 13E16 build released some days ago.

Return to posts index

Ben Silberfarb
on Jun 13, 2014 at 11:18:51 pm

Jan - You mentioned in your previous post that OX 13E16 seed fixes the above mentioned problem. Unfortunately this is NOT the case. I am currently running 13E16 and the same problem exists. Exports with gpu acceleration will crash your system (for those with 2013 Mac Pros).

Return to posts index

Jan Pfitzner
on Jun 13, 2014 at 11:22:44 pm

That is sad to hear Ben - I relied on some posts in the MacRumors forum, in which users suggested that this was an Apple only problem - so we can definately say that both sides should provide fixes for their apps, maybe even before 10.9.4 final ships.

Return to posts index

Peter Price
on Jun 14, 2014 at 2:30:23 am

As mentioned in a previous post, I am also currently running 10.9.4 (latest seed build) on an iMac 27 inch and tested out Premiere Pro, Prelude, AME and Davinci Resolve and did not run into any issues at all, so this sounds like it's specific to the new Mac Pros. Major bummer...

Return to posts index

Jan Pfitzner
on Jun 14, 2014 at 8:48:22 am

Peter, I guess you have the same iMacs as the ones we did our CUDA testings with (current gen iMac) ?

Return to posts index

Peter Price
on Jun 14, 2014 at 9:17:30 am

Yup. That's correct. Current gen 27 inch iMacs with the 4GB nVidia G Force GTX 780M

Return to posts index

James Furst
on Jun 30, 2014 at 7:58:36 pm

I was having a problem similar to this with a new Mac Pro using 10.9.3 - Everything worked fine until time to export. The exported footage had occasional lines through it and some frames would flash green at times. It seemed to be related to FPS. Using 23.98 footage and trying to export it as 29.97 wasn't working. Exporting the sequence at the same FPS as the source footage seemed to fix the problem. Then I just had to convert the final export to 29.97.

Return to posts index

Alex Cameron
on Jul 17, 2014 at 10:32:47 pm

Just want to add here that I am finding huge issues with 10.9.3 and 10.9.4 on the new Mac Pro 2013 with dual AMD d700s.

I believe the issue is something to do with the GPUs and how they work in sync (or not) with OSX and Adobe Premiere Pro CC. It is a seriously frustrating issue and one that is seriously hampering my workflow.

I loathe the suggestion from Adobe "switch it to software only mode" which they then follow with "sorry for the inconvenience"! Sorry guys, I didn't invest in a state of the art system which cost in excess of £5000 along with software that I licence from you for £50 a month just to be told it can't work they way it is clearly stated to work. I'm sorry but I refuse to have to live with the software only mode and lose the seriously powerful GPU acceleration. You need to resolve this or reduce peoples licences until the issue is resolved. Also AMD, Apple and Adobe need to fix the issue together. I bought FCPX the other day and it's great and it is what others will start to do if Adobe don't pull out their fingers and sort this issue.

I appreciate it isn't just Adobe's fault but it is affecting your product so it should be high on your agenda of things to resolve. I am more than willing to help supply any information Adobe require in order to assist resolving the problem.

Hoping for a fix soon.

BTW, have any guys that are Apple developers tried Yosemite yet? Are the issues occurring on this OS too?

Cheers

Alex Cameron
Camera On Films

Return to posts index

emio tomeoni
on Jul 21, 2014 at 1:39:08 am

Man, I feel the same way,
i didn't put out 9k in order to dance around the functionality of the system. I want full quality playback, i want to export through media encoder and start on another project, I want to take advantage of every type of excelerator. I did speak with an adobe rep two days ago, and he said apple will have a fix in their next update.. he said it would be closer to 3 weeks then 3 months...we'll see

Return to posts index

emio tomeoni
on Jul 21, 2014 at 1:31:01 am

I spoke with an Adobe rep two days ago,
The man literally said "just hang on, their working on it" (in a sincere tone)
I said, "how long, is it 3 weeks or 3 months?"
he said 3 weeks,
also said it is a graphics card issue - nothing these other guys on the thread haven't mentioned, but it was reassuring for someone to actually to put a time farm out there.

Return to posts index

Alex Cameron
on Sep 4, 2014 at 2:04:31 pm

Anyone heard any more about this issue?

So frustrating!

Switching away from Adobe to FCPX which isn't having these issues!

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Sep 4, 2014 at 2:44:30 pm

Alex,

You should upgrade to 10.9.4. It cured a lot of the headaches we were having with 10.9.3.

Andy

Return to posts index

Alex Cameron
on Sep 4, 2014 at 3:04:03 pm

Hi Andy

I have and still having the same issues! Others are too.

So odd and really frustrating as no one at either Apple or Adobe is prepared to help or listen.

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Sep 4, 2014 at 3:48:40 pm

Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear it's still a problem under 10.9.4 for you. I feel your pain after spending all that money on a beefy new mac pro and to have it not work right out of the box. Living on the edge can come with some painful growing pains and you just want it to do what was advertised.

Looking back at some of the posts, I see you are running a D700 based machine. Are you seeing these issues on CC or CC2014 or both. Is your main problem playback or rendering out final flattened files? We had one of our new mac pros completely melt down when editing a 4K show. Took it into the Apple store and got the logic board replaced for free. The machine was throwing errors they had not seen before. Is you machine over heating… Not just fans blowing hard, but the tube itself feels really hot? If so, I would suggest you take it into Apple for repairs.

Now onto some options:
Have you done a complete new install of 10.9.4 from scratch? Not just an internet restore or time machine restore. I'm talking boot up and wipe the SSD, do a clean restore from internet.

Have you uninstalled all your Adobe Aps and done a clean install of just CC2014?

I see you are running Resolve. Are your NVidia drivers that get installed with Resolve conflicting with your AMD drivers? Have you tried restoring older or newer drivers and testing?

Have you posted over in the Adobe forum and or actually gotten on the phone with Adobe Tech Support?

Andy

Return to posts index

Reed Brown
Re: Premiere Pro CC no longer compatible with New Mac Pro running 10.9.4
on Sep 17, 2014 at 11:46:32 pm

Hi to all, and specially to Kevin at Adobe,

Knowing of no better way to address Kevin and the Creative Cloud community at the same time, I'm writing this detailed post about PP CC constantly crashing on the new Mac Pro with AMD FirePro D500. (I have no problems at all running PP CS6 on the same system.)

I recently purchased a late 2013 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 6-Core with 12GB RAM with the AMD FirePro D500. Other hardware purchased was a 3TB G-Tech Thunderbolt/USB 3 G-Drive and an LG 34UM65 UltraWide monitor. Cables are all Apple or of high quality. The MacPro and G-tech drive are well ventilated and stay cool.

I downloaded the newest PP CC version in "trial" mode. Turns out that was a good idea as problems started early.

As recommended, I upgraded to OS 10.9.4 and discovered that along with many other mac users, that PP CC started crashing all the time. Crashes occur using Thunderbolt or USB and is not related to the monitor as PP crashes even using my older 23" Apple Cinema Display. Crashes occur using the HDMI or DVI-D input to the monitor.

I've submitted almost every crash report to Adobe.

These are the things I've tried to fix the problem--basically turned OFF and/or unchecked everything:

* Mercury Playback Engine - OFF
* Render at Max Depth - OFF
* Use Max Render Quality - OFF
* GPU Acceleration - OFF
* Reset prefs - MANY TIMES
* Cleaned Media Cache Database - DITTO
* Sync settings with cloud - OFF
* AutoSave - OFF or ON, crashes persist
* Optimize Rendering for Performance or Memory - DOESN'T MATTER
* RAM for PP - Usually set to 5 but I've tried other settings and - DOESN'T MATTER (usually only have PP running)
* Timeline Settings set exactly to match original media; no mixed footage in timeline
* Re-rendering - DONE, doesn't matter
* Changing timeline playback settings - doesn't matter - crashes occur at any playback resolution
* Tried various media codecs/formats in new timelines - doesn't matter - crash after crash...

The crashes happen at least once an hour, and often every two to five minutes. Very inconsistent.

CRASH PROBLEM: Mostly during timeline playback, PP CC will be playing just fine and then the Program Monitor video starts to stutter and skip frames (audio continues to play) then playback completely freezes. It will also just freeze without any "warning". Problem occurs with original media or full renders. To clear the freeze, I can sometimes bounce around the timeline with the CTI or try a match frame but this seldom works.

Mostly the program just freezes and I must quit, force quit, or restart the computer to get back up and running. Fortunately, I save often so usually there's not much work lost. Still, as you can imagine, this breaks editing flow and is very disheartening and frustrating to clients (and me!)

PP will also sometimes crash even when NOT playing back the timeline. It has crashed while doing an insert edit, doing a trim, or adjusting a motion video keyframe.

SOLUTION???? There as got to be a fix coming for OS 10.9.4 users! Cannot Adobe, AMD and Apple solve this issue with an update? It would be really really helpful to know the status!

On top of all this, I was using the trial version and it has now expired so I can no longer troubleshoot CC and I can't justify paying full price for a product that isn't working. I'm committed to using PP CC and it's a great program (along with other Adobe products), however it needs to work as advertised for MacPro users.

Comments, unknown solutions, updates on fixes, etc. are welcome!

Thanks to all,

Reed at InnovationEdit

Return to posts index

Alex Cameron
on Sep 18, 2014 at 8:51:39 am

Hey Reed

Great work on the troubleshooting and it's a shame you can't continue as your trial has expired. Totally understand not being able to justify purchase until the platform is working correctly.

I'm still experiencing issues with playback and on rendering/encoding work out via either Premiere directly or via Adobe Media Encoder which itself is buggy as hell (continually freezing when starting a queue of premiere sequences or multiple outputs to one sequence).

Haven't had much chance to troubleshoot or try reinstalling systems as I am so busy with work and just currently making do! Luckily my older MacPro2012 with Nvidia GTX680 in it is capable of handling the encoding tasks but it means that I have two machines tied up and have to keep moving machines which is annoying.

Likewise I feel this issue must be affecting a lot of professional editors working in Premiere Pro CC 2014 on the new MacPro with Mavericks 10.9.3 installed. I can accept that bugs occur from time to time and am prepared to be patient but now it is getting to the point where I feel like both Apple (particularly Apple) Adobe or AMD don't seem to care as it isn't affecting a large enough volume of people for them to worry about it. If this were resolved then I would be a REALLY happy camper and I'd love to hear more from the companies involved as to the following:

1) an acknowledgement that there still is an issue
2) reassurance that they are working on a fix
3 When we might expect the fix

I know that OS 10.10 Yosemite is coming soon as well as a new version of Premiere Pro too(which looks great by the way with a lot of organisational features - I'm quite a tidy editor so this really gets me going!) ;) Hopefully one of these updates will quash the bug finally. Worried though as I hope that Apple doesn't break something else with the new OS.

For me this still is a huge problem and costing me a lot of valuable time in looking into it. If you are reading this Adobe, Apple or anyone else who can help, we are all really keen to be kept in the loop about any information relating to this issue that you are able to share. Reassurance that there is a fix coming would be amazing.

Cheers

Return to posts index

frankwoodvideo@live.co.uk silverstone1
on Sep 20, 2014 at 11:32:02 am

I have those exact issues, its at least heartening to me that I am not alone with this situation. I also have a latest Mac Pro with the dual AMD Firepros and the specs have been maxed out.

I can edit a project quite happily for a couple of hours and then the same playback freeze/skipping frames issue that you have described starts to happen and once you have unknowingly saved that glitch into the project there is no escaping it. I too have tried changing all the settings, all the suggested permissions fixes and preference deletions.

Even if I take the project over my imac i5 and try to run it there, the same problem replicates.

My current workflow with CC 2014 is: edit for a couple of minutes, playback starts to freeze, save project, quit Premiere then force quite Premiere (it will save the project but the closing process will crash), reopen Premiere, edit for a couple of minutes ...... and so on

I have been dealing with this issue for months now and is particularly embarrassing because I was asked at my new work what new system I would like for editing and chose what I thought was all the latest state of the art tech at a hefty price. I wish I could tell my employers its all working brilliantly, but frankly I wish I was back on an old G5 running FCP7 right now

Return to posts index

Reed Brown
on Sep 21, 2014 at 10:14:43 pm

I did some more digging, and found that it's possible it may have something to do with possible bad V-RAM on the graphics card. I'm taking the computer in the Genius store tomorrow and will ask 'em to check it, and maybe see if they can put back OS 10.9.3. Will let you know what outcome of all this is...

Meantime, anyone else having this issue with the new MacPro, please chime in here!

Thanks.

Reed Brown
INNOVATION EDIT

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Sep 22, 2014 at 2:04:20 am

I had a problem with the "flashing lines on export" issue, but 10.9.4 fixed it. I did just recently have a project that would not open. The fix was to open a previous auto-save.

Return to posts index

Alex Cameron
on Sep 22, 2014 at 10:28:47 am

Hey Guys

Reed I believe that guys at AMD, Apple and Adobe have all come out saying it shouldn't be anything to do with bad VRAM and that it was a software issue rather than hardware. However, I don't want to rule it out completely and will be very interested to learn if taking it in solves your issues. Please keep us posted.

This does however highlight my major problem with the fact that there does to seem to be a definitive answer here from any of the parties involved. None of them have really come out and accepted that there is an issue and offered any reassurance that it will be fixed or even when. That is the most frustrating part as it just feels like this is a phantom problem that maybe I am imagining or something and finding a solution to the problem looks about as unlikely as me becoming PM!

I'd really love Apple, AMD and Adobe to come together here and give us all one place to keep up to date with information regarding this issue and to quash any rumours of fixes that aren't working etc.

Incidentally, 10.9.5 was released over the weekend and I wonder if anyone has tried this yet and what the outcome is? Any one who has please do jump in!

Return to posts index

Townley Paton
on Oct 2, 2014 at 4:26:26 pm

Reed and others,
We have the same terrible issues in our edit facility. Adobe PP CC with new Mac Pro 2.7 12 core, AMD D500 and OS 10.9.4. Crashes from every hour to every few minutes. We have used every trick we can think of, all outlined by Reed above. Well done and thanks to you Reed. We are currently trapped in a nearly impossible deadline with (12) 3 minute videos for a new sports oriented camera maker... and a completely horrible routine of crashing and restarting constantly. We will be lucky to keep the client. Today after reading your blog, I'm switching back to the iMacs to avoid most of the issues but we do see the same issues in the iMacs, just not as much.

When we first bought the Mac Pro several months ago we did have many identical crashes. We were able to get a software engineer on the phone at Adobe who told me to turn off all of the advanced GPU options as previously mentioned and switch the preview rendering format to Quicktime. I had no problems until I started a new project with the latest updates from Apple and Adobe CC. It is amazing to me that Adobe continues to charge us for software that does not work. I was told in June that they were working on this issue and to hang in there! I wonder if they really compute the damage they are doing to their professional clientele. If we go back to FCP X we will never return.

We (3 editors) switched to Adobe from FCP because of the magnetic timeline and file management in X. We kept FCP 7 going for older clients and moved to Premier. $15,000 later in new gear and software plus hundreds of hours of training we are all at the end of our rope. This is completely Adobe's responsibility. We also feel suckered into the cloud and now deeply regret the decision of moving there from PP6, although the crashing was happening then as well.

I know there are many out there thinking "I told you so." I would get on my knees and beg if it made a difference. We've been at this for three weeks on this one project. Instead of enjoying 7x performance we have received a negative return on edit performance. Simply dismal.

Return to posts index

Reed Brown
on Oct 2, 2014 at 4:49:36 pm

I've gone back to OS 10.9.3 and am just starting to put the computer through it's PP CC editing paces today...will keep you posted if this improves the situation... Hope this works!

Reed Brown
INNOVATION EDIT

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Oct 2, 2014 at 6:02:22 pm

I had the "flashing lines on export" problems with 10.9.3, but that was fixed with 10.9.4, and so far 10.9.5 seems to be working without any problem.

Return to posts index

Reed Brown
on Oct 3, 2014 at 2:51:31 am

First day of editing back on 10.3.9 and (drum roll please).... the crashing still persists (cymbal crash now). PP CC seemed to play better for an hour or so, then the crashes started occurring. And for the first time, I also started seeing those pesky line break-ups, in addition to the normal freeze and crash events. I am truly beside myself - as is my client. We are stuck on PP CC for this job, but if this problem isn't fixed and soon, I will go to FCP X or Avid as soon as possible (or continue using FCP 7 until it's last dying breath on my old MacPro).

(By the way, my system checked out perfectly at Genius Bar -- no bad graphics card VRAM or computer cooling issues -- as suspected.)

Ken, what are your system specs? Most importantly, which AMD FirePro series do you use? Did the crash issue go away upon moving from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5? There has to be some difference(s) between your MacPro running smoothly with PP CC and those of us having problems.

As it seems Adobe/ Apple/ AMD are not perusing this tech problem it will be helpful for all of us to use our detective skills to figure out a solution. Obviously, some editors with PP CC on new Mac Pro are NOT having this issue. Why why why? Detective hats on please!

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Oct 3, 2014 at 3:08:30 am
Last Edited By Ken Jones on Oct 3, 2014 at 2:25:54 pm

The only major problems I had was the flashing lines on export. The workaround was to only do software rendering which was SLOW. I never really had any crashing problems to speak of. They occasionally happen, but I have Premiere set up to auto-save every five minutes so I usually do not lose too much work.

You have probably already thought about all of these, but...

Is Premiere the only thing that is crashing, or is the whole computer crashing?

Is a faulty media drive to blame? Do you have any problems if you use a different media drive? Do you have bad RAM?

Maybe you have a corrupted project file? Does Premiere only crash on this project? Does it crash if you start a brand new project? Does it crash on any other projects?

Are you using any plug ins? I have heard a lot of people are having problems with plug-ins crashing Premiere. This has been the single biggest culprit I have seen in other posts. They will say their problems go away if they remove the third party plug ins from their timeline. A big crashing problem in FCP7 and earlier was having a still photo in the sequence that was too large.

Have you tried a complete re-install of Premiere? Of course, a complete re-install of any video program has never, ever worked for me in the last 20 years (seriously!) but everyone always asks that, right?

It appears that my system specs are the same as yours:

Return to posts index

Townley Paton
Re: Premiere Pro CC now working with New Mac Pro running 10.9.4
on Oct 3, 2014 at 4:46:46 am

What appears to work...
After writing my dismal post this morning I made all the changes spoken of by Reed above plus one additional change and our system with hundreds of edits is still going strong into the night as we go for a deadline on Monday.

Premier Pro CC 2014, Mac Pro 2.7 12core, OS10.9.4

Throw out PPCC prefs. Open Sequence settings, turn off Max bit render, max render quality and also composite in linear color.

Make the Editing Mode CUSTOM, select frame size, I use 1920X1080, square pixels, 30p etc but make sure you select QUICKTIME for the Preview File format, then ANIMATION as the codec. This is the difference.

Open a new empty sequence with these settings, copy and paste into the new sequence what was driving you to consider jumping professions.

As part of the crash prep I had also kept all of my main, temp, preview and working files on a separate thunder port drive. Just the PPCC project file on the edit machine. Auto save to another drive.

I then edited without always rendering the sequence in the interest of time but no crashes for the last ten hours.

Good luck out there.

Return to posts index

James Harrison
on Nov 24, 2014 at 6:20:15 pm

Same issues here... a very expensive state of the art MacPro rendered sub standard by software that doesn't seem to work happily with this latest 2013/14 computer. Could this be the beginning of the end of my relationship with Adobe and a return to FCP?

Everything worked find until I upgraded and supposedly improved things.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Nov 24, 2014 at 9:23:23 pm

Don't know, but 10.9.4 worked fine for me but to be honest i went straight to yosemite and (touchwood) so far so good.

Maybe recent PPro patches have sorted out the problems ppl have been having. Have you got any unusual 3rd party gear?

-------------------------------
Adobe CC 2014
MacPro 2013 8-core 3GHz / 64GB RAM / Dual FirePro D500s / OSX 10.10
Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 2TB SSD RAID-0 scratch / XServe + UD RAID on Small Tree 10GbE

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Oct 3, 2014 at 3:14:15 pm

Yeah.. it thought the July CC update was fixing things. but now I'm back to frequent crashes and really sputtery playback and performance even at 1/4 rez view. This 12core Mac pro 2014.. we have several... just dogs out on anything adobe. Seems to be getting worse. My 2013 quad core iMac smokes these machines in regard to adobe. not sure what the answer is. I've been back and forth several times with Adobe. Ive got everything on software mode.. but it seems like with 6GB of video ram.. I should be accessing this machine to its mac capacity. After Effects renders take several minutes to even begin. It's really frustrating... well I'm on vacation next week.. so I will fogeddabouwdit for a while.. :-)

Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA. Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist.

Return to posts index

Reed Brown
on Oct 3, 2014 at 10:30:49 pm

I've tried as suggested: trashed prefs, created new "custom" sequence, set preview files to QT animation, copied clips into new sequence, PP deletes all old render files and I re-render in in/out sections... and program still crashes, although maybe, maybe just a bit less.

I tried this workflow with a other preview file codec settings (ProRes422, ProRes422LT) but the problem remains the same.

Will keep going with editing over next few days and see how it goes. If problem persists (anyone willing to take bets?), I might go up to 10.9.4 or .5. I noticed that .5 has a thunderbolt update. Another link in the chain that maybe helps fix things?

Like many of you, I wish someone from any of the companies involved would at acknowledge this problem and give an update on their findings/solution.

Reed Brown
INNOVATION EDIT

Return to posts index

Alexander Goff
on Oct 14, 2014 at 2:04:57 pm

Hi Reed

How have you found things working out with 10.9.5? I just updated from 10.9.3 which was having irregular problems when rendering raw S-Log footage, and found this thread which seemed to be touching on some similar issues.

This is just the latest in a long line of issues with the new Mac Pro which I initially thought were down to driver clashes and software glitches - reading this thread has me wondering whether there is a fundamental issue with certain GPUs.

As an aside, in my limited testing so far I have found that when playback/render glitches occur whilst playing back in my timeline, I can switch from GPU rendering to Software Only (throwing out the old renders), and then back again and this seems to have me up and running without issues. But I have yet to test this theory to destruction.

Alexander Goff

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Oct 15, 2014 at 8:54:14 am

Hi all,

Glad I spotted this...just about to order an 8-core MacPro and we rely very heavily on PPro CC2014 (latest .1 release)

Has this issue been resolved?

Also - if anyone has any thoughts or experience on scratch drive set up on the nMP I'd love to hear....I currently have media running on a big RAID via 10GbE and then internal SSD for system, then another internal SSD for scratch...As new MP only supports one internal drive, I'm curious as to whether the new 'super fast PCIe SSD' is fast enough to do both?

Thanks,
James

Adobe CC 2014
MacPro 3,1 8-core 3.2GHz / 32GB RAM / NVidia Quadro 4000 / OSX 10.8.7
Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 3TB RAID-0 local / 6TB XServe + United Digital RAID on 10GbE

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Oct 15, 2014 at 1:41:40 pm

Well we have 2 new 12 cores and 4 8 cores and the issue seems to be related to the AMD video cards. The only way I've found to have some sort of stable performance is to switch from openCL to software rendering. this is a bummer because obviously it's like owning a BMW S3 and only driving it at 40 miles per hour.

Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA. Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Oct 15, 2014 at 10:23:23 pm

Thanks for the heads up Brian.

Definitely not an option to switch off GPU acceleration!...main reason going for the upgrade! Do you know what the last stable version of mavericks is that will run PPro CC2014?

Also, as a side - i wonder if you could share any thoughts you have on the performance difference in PPro/other adobe video apps between the new 8 & 12core? Trying to decide if worth the extra £££

Thanks,
James

Adobe CC 2014
Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 3TB RAID-0 local / 6TB XServe + United Digital RAID on 10GbE

Return to posts index

Reed Brown
on Oct 16, 2014 at 6:58:31 pm

Here's the latest update: I was able to get Apple to reinstall 10.9.3 and yes, the system is more stable now than running 10.9.4, with fewer freeze and crashes. I'm now rendering everything in ProRes422 which seems to help stabilize things. However, oddly, I'm now getting the video glitches everyone else was seeing, but mostly in render files. I can usually get clean renders by adjusting the opacity on the offending clip(s), resetting back to 100%, re-render, and the new render file is usually OK.

Still a few odd crashes here and there, but to summarize, going back to 10.9.3 has 85% done the trick. I'm very reluctant to go to 10.9.4 again until this issue is finally resolved.

I'm also going to be starting a project using only ProRes422 and so I'll see (and report back) if that codec is more stable than the couple I've been using so far.

Meantime, anyone else made discoveries on this MacPro issue?

Thanks.

Reed Brown
INNOVATION EDIT

Return to posts index

Alexander Goff
on Oct 20, 2014 at 1:29:06 pm

We've now gone to 10.9.5 and everything's running pretty well (admittedly this is short form stuff, but we're cutting XAVC 2K log footage with LUTs so a reasonable demand on the system). Might be worth atry for those still struggling with 10.9.4

Return to posts index

Alexander Goff
on Oct 21, 2014 at 10:33:58 am

Using Tiger shared storage and no Yosemite drivers are available for that yet. I'll probably wait a version or two before jumping into Yosemite, it's a significant overhaul.

Return to posts index

Reed Brown
on Oct 20, 2014 at 8:50:43 pm

Thanks for the update. As you have the time for updates, that would be terrific.

By the way, are you running two monitors on your system? For me, using 10.9.4 with two monitors was more troublesome than one so I’m wondering if you are using two monitors without problems. Back on 10.9.3, two monitors seem to be stable again.

Thanks.

Reed Brown
INNOVATION EDIT

Return to posts index

Alexander Goff
on Oct 21, 2014 at 10:37:43 am

Yes, two monitors plus a broadcast monitor via BM Decklink 4K Extreme. All going swimmingly at the moment.

Return to posts index

Reed Brown
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:43:08 pm

Great to hear. I’ll probably make a disk image of 10.9.3 then, in a few weeks after this project is done, try going 10.9.5. May check in with you to see if things still running smoothly.

All others, please continue to chime in on your experiences! Thanks.

Reed Brown
INNOVATION EDIT

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:13:22 pm

10.9.3 was a nightmare due to the AMD drivers. Once I upgraded our new mac pros to 10.9.4, things have run smoothly. I have one new mac pro upgraded to 10.9.5 and will start testing with it next week. If you are using AJA gear with your new mac pros, get in touch with AJA Support as they have some new beta drivers to deal with some of the audio issues I was seeing with the Io4K and Premiere.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:24:33 pm

I've been running 10.9.4 with a clean install since it came out and things are quite buggy. I'm forced to use software rendering and not OpenGL. My 2013 quadcore iMac blows these new 12 core macpros away when it comes to Adobe CC... unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:55:22 pm

Sorry to hear you are still having issues Brian. One of our 6 core new Mac Pros was having issues and I ended up taking it into the Apple store. The logic board was replaced and few other parts and its back in production without any problems. Have you taken your 12 core into Apple to see if they can help diagnose it? Having 12 cores and D700's and using software mode is painful to see!! Have you gotten in touch with Adobe or Apple?

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Oct 21, 2014 at 7:28:31 pm

Thanks. I haven't taken it into Apple yet. I've had some extensive talks with Adobe but they aren't really owning it. very friendly and nice but no real solutions unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:24:06 pm

Quick update from my end...

Borrowed a 6-core nMP for testing and PProCC2014.1 working on 10.9.2 and 10.9.5. Gpu with d500's is flying and managed to get 5 x 4k r3d streams running at once off the internal ssd (hlf res) with grading applied. Also a couple of uncompressed 1080 qt's running no problem at full res with a tonne of blurs and cc applied. Rendering out looks fine too.

Testing with yosemite tomorrrow...

Adobe CC 2014
Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 1TB SSD scratch / 6TB XServe + United Digital RAID on 10GbE

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:29:26 pm

Our Mac Pro's are the 6 core D500's flavor as well. Have a 4K pilot in the works and the editor has 4 stream multi cam F55 4K footage mixed with r3d files playing back fine to a 12TB Thunderbolt raid. I'm wondering if there is an issue with D700 Open CL drivers on the 12 cores?

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:32:50 pm

good point. that is worth taking a look at.

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:35:48 pm

One more thing Brian...... We do have an 8 Core w/ D500's as well in the graphics department and no problems at all with CC 2014 (not yet upgraded to 2014.1 blue release)

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:06:35 am

Quick update: Just tested PPro CC 2014.1 on Yosemite and so far so good!

Next test is to see what options there are out of the box getting a 4k signal out of the onboard HDMI to a 4k projector...anyone had any success with getting an external ref signal out of these (via Prem/AFX) rather than it just showing up as an additional workspace monitor?

Was hoping we wouldn't have to lump for a 4k blackmagic card just yet, so would be good to know if there's any workarounds ppl know of?

Thanks.

Adobe CC 2014
MacPro 3,1 8-core 3.2GHz / 32GB RAM / NVidia Quadro 4000 / OSX 10.8.5
Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 1TB SSD scratch / 6TB XServe + UD RAID on 10GbE

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Dec 5, 2014 at 12:09:25 pm

WAIT!....I take it all back...

Premiere Pro CC2014 is now totally unusable in Yosemite on my Mac Pro. Don't know what's happened (nothing new has been installed) but basically I can edit in PP for about 5-10 mins and then I either get beachball lock up, or my media all freezes or disappears and playhead just scrubs nothing.

Just updated to Yosemite 10.10.1 to see if it helped, but no joy.

Is anyone else getting this? Machine pretty much useless now :(

Adobe CC 2014
MacPro 2013 8-core 3GHz / 64GB RAM / Dual FirePro D500s / OSX 10.10
Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 2TB SSD RAID-0 scratch / XServe + UD RAID on Small Tree 10GbE

Return to posts index

Reed Brown
on Nov 26, 2014 at 8:49:59 pm

I created a separate boot drive for my new late 2013 MacPro using 10.9.5 and have been successfully running PP CC on that for 3-4 weeks now. 98% stable. FINALLY!!! After this next job finishes, I'll probably upgrade the internal HD to 10.9.5 and hopefully be done with the freeze, glitch, crash issue. My recommendation--try 10.9.5 on a different boot drive and see how PP runs.

Feedback welcome!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]