FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch rename clip name, not file name?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Garber
Batch rename clip name, not file name?
on Oct 18, 2012 at 5:45:29 pm

Any way to batch rename clip names in Premiere? I'm importing P2 and want to batch rename a bunch of clips to keep stuff in order. Obviously I don't want to rename the files.

So far, my research has come up with nothing.

Thanks!

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Batch rename clip name, not file name?
on Oct 18, 2012 at 6:07:51 pm

In Adobe Bridge, go to Tools > Batch Rename

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Oct 18, 2012 at 6:15:20 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that. But won't that change the filename? I'd like to keep those the same as it's coming from P2.

Michael Garber

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Oct 18, 2012 at 6:41:44 pm

Sorry I misunderstood. No, there's no batch renaming function within Premiere Pro. I always rename clips before I import, whenever possible.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Oct 18, 2012 at 6:42:37 pm

No worries. Thanks for the reply. Will be adding that to the request list...

Michael Garber

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Oct 18, 2012 at 9:13:30 pm

just for the same of asking and to generate further discussion...

1) By P2 do you mean MXF?

2) Kevin does Bridge support P2 at this point?

3) Bridge does have a function to maintain original filename as Metadata when batch renaming

4) It seems like staying native and renaming p2 at the file level wouldn't work would it? Aren't P2 files atomized?

5) Not to force the transcode issue....but maybe a trip thru Prelude on the way into PPro might be a good approach? This would create unified files that could be renamed in bridge without issue...but with no real lnk to the original MXF....

hmmmmm

not really sure....

Alex

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Oct 18, 2012 at 9:48:57 pm

[Alex Udell]"
1) By P2 do you mean MXF?
yes

3) Bridge does have a function to maintain original filename as Metadata when batch renaming
I saw a button that said it would keep the original filename within the metadata, but it seems that it still would change the filename. Didn't want to risk trying it, as I had already started editing.

4) It seems like staying native and renaming p2 at the file level wouldn't work would it? Aren't P2 files atomized?
I believe that renaming P2 files would hurt the integrity of the folder structure.

5) Not to force the transcode issue....but maybe a trip thru Prelude on the way into PPro might be a good approach? This would create unified files that could be renamed in bridge without issue...but with no real lnk to the original MXF...."
Thought about it, but then I figured that since I wanted to refer back to the original media, that I wouldn't need to do this step. Perhaps next time.

Outside of all these issues, this is my first client-driven edit session in Premiere. I've been ramping up on my learning for awhile now and feel pretty comfortable with Premiere. It is an awesome program and has an amazing feature set that excite me, but there are gaps - gaps I know you guys are looking into fixing along with your other developments. The Process of Editing, being the most important aspect of any NLE, in my opinion, is lacking- and this leaves FCP7 superior for me (even against the advantages of Mercury and Dynamic Linking). Many keyboard driven functions that I'm very used to in FCP (such as ctrl-+ for audio keyframing) are just not there. Using the mouse to drag audio and keyframe it is difficult, but not impossible.

While I could send lots of notes the Premiere team, I have to admit that I'm getting tired of sending feature requests to large corporations and not get paid for my time lost working on other jobs (general grievance not specific to any one individual, just indicative of the where we are in this whole NLE game right now). All added up, I spent days and days sending feature req's and videos to the Apple team. If you guys (meaning Adobe) really want my .02, then call me and let's have a sit down face to face next time you're in LA. I am more than happy to show you exactly how I edit and what's lacking. I have 15 yrs of NLE experience and know FCP7 like the back of my hand.

Sorry for the broken record on this one, y'all. Just getting tired of the right NLE replacement for FCP7 not being here, yet, and having to wait and ask for features every time I realize something is missing, broken, or needs to be improved. It's become a time suck for me.

Michael Garber

Return to posts index

alex ezorsky
on Jun 8, 2015 at 6:01:02 pm
Last Edited By alex ezorsky on Jun 8, 2015 at 6:01:17 pm

I came to this thread with the same question and just found that you can batch rename by highlighting multiple clips and entering in a new clip name in the metadata panel. The downside is that it will give all the clips the same name and doesn't seem to have any feature for dynamic batch naming such as adding a suffix.

I hope this helps but of course would love to know if there's a better way.

Return to posts index

Jocelyne Chaput
on Sep 8, 2015 at 1:42:50 am

I'm also looking for this feature to no avail. Even being able to add a suffix to existing clip names as you suggest Alex would be super useful.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Mar 25, 2016 at 3:53:31 pm

I am looking as well. Ideally for a massive non-ficiotn project, you want file names to be named based off their card folder name, like "DATE_LOCATION/NAME_CAMERA_CARD#_clips-original-unique-name." It's possible to set this up before hand for camera formats like DSLRs and GoPros, but doesn't seem tone anything for cameras with more complex cards structures, such as C300 for example.

Return to posts index

David Parke
on Sep 13, 2017 at 9:42:39 pm

This did exactly what I wanted when I wanted to apply tape names to my footage by bin name. Thank you!

David Parke
Editor
http://www.dparke.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]