FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reverting to original footage from adobe dynamic link

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Graham
Reverting to original footage from adobe dynamic link
on Sep 27, 2011 at 12:20:14 pm

There have been a number of times when I have wanted to get the original footage back from the dynamic link with After Effects. When the audio is left the long way is to add video by taking note of the in out points from the source monitor. When you have a whole timeline of linked compositions staring at you though, this can take forever and other times when there is no audio, to take the timecode information from, this isn't possible.

There have been times, for example, when AE has crashed during creating a dynamic link leaving a linked composition flapping in the middle of my sequence with no source. This is infuriating and you end up having utopian dreams of a world where there exists a "right-click>revert to original footage" function.

I know there are good habits and best-practices where you always create nested sequences of every element that you send to AE (each 'nest' has one track with the source footage and another track with the dynamic link. This can double as an offline-online to speed up rendering and previewing during editing) but this isn't always done.

Any help would be awesome, let me know what you find.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: Reverting to original footage from adobe dynamic link
on Sep 27, 2011 at 3:16:05 pm

Here's a very easy solution to your dilemma that I use all the time.

1. Select the clip on the timeline you want to dynamically link.
2. Duplicate it. Slide it up to Video Trk. 2 then right click and deactivate it.
3. Go back to the link on Trk. 1 and do your dynamic link thing.

Quick, easy and gives you what you want.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digita / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

James Graham
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:56:52 am

This is exactly what I do most of the time, as I said:

"I know there are good habits and best-practices where you always create nested sequences of every element that you send to AE (each 'nest' has one track with the source footage and another track with the dynamic link. This can double as an offline-online to speed up rendering and previewing during editing) but this isn't always done."

but I'm not the only one who creates projects which I end up editing. There have been many times when someone has given me a timeline full of dynamic links that no longer work, aren't there or just messed up in some way, and no audio with which to get in/out points from for the source video.

This is what I mean by 'right click>revert to original footage' or 'remove dynamic link.' What I would like to know is, where about's is this function or if it doesn't exist what is quicker than re-editing the sequence and starting from almost scratch.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 28, 2011 at 3:49:30 pm

Im not aware of any function like that existing.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digita / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:42:31 pm

Here's a blog post I wrote with even more solutions to this problem: http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2011/10/11/how-to-revert-dynamic-link-w...

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]