FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mercury Playback Engine & Laptops

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Finnigan
Mercury Playback Engine & Laptops
on Aug 7, 2011 at 3:10:52 am

I am looking for suggestions on a laptop to use with CS5.5, I currently have a 6 core desktop w/ a gtx 470 and it's great I never have to render. my laptop is a lower end model with a amd dual core and an ati card. I am looking for something that I can edit on, my current laptop gets bogged down to easy in premiere pro. It doesn't necessarily need to be officially supported as long as it can be hacked to work. an Esata port is a must! and a pcmcia slot would be great for my p2 cards but my current one doesn't have one so it's optional.

Thanks in advanced.

Thanks,
Jason

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: Mercury Playback Engine & Laptops
on Aug 7, 2011 at 5:17:14 am

Check out the HP Elitebook 8740 and 8760. They both have hyperthreaded 4 core chips and up to 16 gig of RAM along with NVIDIA cuda cards as well. Mine is arriving on Tues. Can't wait! The 8740 is on sale for under 1900 right now on HP's web site until they sell out. Karl Soule from Adobe uses one so they must be good. Check out the "Short and Suite" series on Adobes web site for lots of tutorials on CS 5.5.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
HP 8740 laptop
New convert to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Aug 7, 2011 at 6:30:11 am

I am with Ron on this - I like HPs (and so does Adobe :)) - even though currently Lenovo W520 seems to be the best value among laptops with officially supported GPUs. Here is a partial list:

http://support.dv411.com/home/vendors/adobe/cs5-laptops

(I am not selling any of these - no margin - thus no commercial interest.)

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Kaushik Bhattacharya
on Aug 7, 2011 at 6:05:35 pm

I'm not sure if you are UK based or if this particular model is available elsewhere (I'd guess it is in the states) but I've recently been craving this particular laptop by Toshiba, especially as I also use a Matrox MX02 and this is one of the few laptops nowadays that still has an express card slot!

http://www.anvika.com/product/toshiba-qosmio-x500-165-18-4-8gb-64ssd-750gb/...

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Aug 7, 2011 at 8:33:50 pm

Just a word of advice (and not to pick on HP), but they've had a bad track record with Nvidia cards overheating and dying, apparently from melting solder. I've personally seen 3 laptops go down that route, all in the $3000.00 range.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, get that extended warranty...

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Aug 8, 2011 at 1:34:32 am

Vince, you remember by any chance which HP laptops were these and which NVidia chipsets were inside?

(On a side note, you would think failure and return rate stats on major brand laptops would be publicly accessible... it's not, is it?)

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Aug 8, 2011 at 1:41:49 am

Hi Alex,

Yes, it was the DV Series, although I think there were other runs affected. If you do a search for HP and Nvidia, you'll get an eye full. What left a bad taste was their unwillingness to even deal with it, but I'm over it :-)

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Aug 8, 2011 at 6:33:23 pm

[Vince Becquiot] "Yes, it was the DV Series"

Looks like Pavilion and Presario series - I guess I was lucky to never deal with consumer models - haven't even heard of the issue until now! :)

(Dell laptops were affected too.)

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Aug 8, 2011 at 5:09:48 pm

how much performance would I get off 48 cuda cores? I have something like 448 cuda cores in my desktop setup, but i really have no idea how much I use of that. I edit DVCPROHD (720p) and export to both DVD's and h.264.

this was the laptop I was looking at.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246155

I currently have a http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6-3210us-15-6-Inch-Entertainment/dp/B00...

both are consumer models, both have cpus of similar performance (different clock speeds tho) the only difference would be the video card.

If i spend over $1k on one I would probably go with the hp though. but both with my current laptop and the $549 lenvo I can use third party optical bay adapters to but in a second hdd (7200rpm scratch disk)

Thanks,
Jason

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Aug 8, 2011 at 6:44:56 pm

I meant to say I would go with the IBM/Levno if I spent $1k on one. I currently have an HP and have used and worked on a lot of them. They all seam to have heat issues (I'm sure even more so with a core i7)

Thanks,
Jason

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:18:04 am

okay so I figured if I am going to spend money on a laptop I might as well get something I know is going to work (plus time is money, as far as rendering goes). I want a 15" cause I think a 17" is probably just to big. I love the lenvo W520 because it has the color sensor to sync the display but I guess the hp dream-color is suppose to have good gamma too. and I really want a full keyboard as the hp workstations have so I am thinking about the 8560w do you think that would be a good buy?

Thanks,
Jason

Return to posts index

Kendall Shaw
on Dec 7, 2014 at 7:15:47 pm

I'm sure I can get an answer from some salesman, but I would rather do research first.

Is there somewhere that I can find which laptops are compatible. For example, a lenovo w530 has integrated intel GPU + nvideo quadro k1000m. With the latest nvidia drivers, later than from lenovo, GPU support for ray tracing in after effects is "unsupported". With the lenovo drivers GPU support is unavailable from the preview settings menu.

Also, at the moment, previewing ray tracing is not my concern. Where else should I be concerned about GPU support and how can I tell if a laptop is supported?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]