FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XF305 .MXF files and Premier

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matias Koskinen
Canon XF305 .MXF files and Premier
on Mar 15, 2011 at 10:24:39 am

Hi,

I got my hands on Canon XF305 and it seems premier pro cannot read them.

My own system is FCP (I was told to set it up in premier) and it works there through log and transfer function.

How can I get those .mfx files correctly to Premier Pro for the edit?

Thank you, Matias

Return to posts index

Rex Summerfield
Re: Canon XF305 .MXF files and Premier
on Mar 15, 2011 at 4:58:59 pm

CS5 and above is supposed to handle them. What version of PPro do you have?

Return to posts index

Matias Koskinen
on Mar 15, 2011 at 10:34:43 pm

We have CS4. So upgrade to CS5 is required?

Matias

Return to posts index

Rex Summerfield
on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:28:18 pm

The Camera came out after CS4 so I doubt it is compatible without some sort of conversion process. Maybe via the Adobe Media Encoder. Some people are also using Sorenson Squeeze to convert them to a usable format.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Mar 15, 2011 at 7:36:24 pm

Import the footage with the Media Browser.

Return to posts index

Matias Koskinen
on Mar 15, 2011 at 10:36:01 pm

Media Browser does not import those .xml files correctly. It says something like format cannot be read. (Can't remember what it says, I'm not in that computer atmo)

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Mar 17, 2011 at 12:53:09 pm

The issue is not that CS4 can't read MXF files (xml and other camera data files can sometimes come up as not imported if you just grab a whole folder and import clips from some camera-borne file formats. I've noted to Adobe that the software seems to present it to the user as some sort of malfunction when it isn't.) The media browser will typically only show you the files in a directory that can be imported.

However...as Rex stated, CS4 pre-dates the camcorder, though most importantly, CS4 did not support a Sony XDcamHD422 codec structure natively, and underneath it all, that is what the essence of Canon's video file is...

I think Main Concept had some sort of plugin that would adapt that format for those who were using XDcamHD422 at 50 Mbit prior to CS5, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference on what the file wrapper is (mxf), so I'd ask Main Concept about it before purchasing it, or you could just upgrade to CS5 if you have a 64 bit workstation...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]