FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accelerator card?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Gotts
Accelerator card?
on Jun 25, 2006 at 2:24:36 am

Ive Just again added Premire 2.0 (Left after Dv500 Died) to my NLE collection. I hear no talk except from Matrox and Canopus about accelarator cards and non are pre installed on those designer computers like Boxx. are they a waste of money these days. I have $5,000 budget this summer to buy a dual processor Boxx class workstation and was wondering about those cards.
thanks
Steven L. Gotts (not "the" Steven L. Gotz)

Steven Gotts

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
Re: Accelerator card?
on Jun 25, 2006 at 2:42:49 am

There is a new Matrox that might be useful to some people, but very few people need such things anymore. You are better off spending the money on more RAM, or faster processors.

It kind of depends on your workflow. A lot of people might find the acceleration to DVD the one thing they need the most. Others might find that the realtime 3D effects make it worth the money. You decide.

But I would stay away from anything except the RT.X2 since the drivers for the RTX.100 seem to be less than satisfactory in Premiere Pro 2.0.

Interesting name you have there, by the way. I have seen that spelling before, and investigation reveals it is generally a shortened form of a different name, whereas mine is probably from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotz

I figure that my people probably worked for his people, and that is where they picked up the name. Quite common in that time. I am fairly certain he is not a distant relative.

Steven
http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index

Steven Gotts
on Jun 25, 2006 at 4:05:00 am

Thanks Steven So do you think thats where name is from or are you suggesting its a short form of say Gottschalk? fasinating stuff. Thanks for the info on the card. a perfect example of my workflow was tonight. The local community health brought in a Harvard Authority for a three hour lecture and they taped it on three 1 hour mini Dv tapes. so I make one sequence for each tape. one for the comminity mental health Id bug. and in another I assemble a 10 second Lower third with a title and digital juice to Id the speaker spaced about 10 minutes apart. each of these 3 main 1 hour timelines are taking 45 minutes to render, and Im using an amd64 x2 4200 with 2 gig ram and a raid 0. Will that card along with the dual xeons speed that up enough to warrant the investment?That 45 minutes I watch CNN and get no work done. lol
thanks
Steven

Steven Gotts

Return to posts index

maestro1208
on Jun 25, 2006 at 2:36:03 pm

Steven,

This is not exactly a response to your original post, but I noticed that your hardware is almost the same as mine and I am having a problem which you may have experienced and perhaps solved.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800 (almost the same as yours) with 2 gig of ram and 2 250 gig drives in a Raid 0 array. I cannot get the Production Suite Activated. It installs OK but then, when I launch PP2 (or any of the other programs for that matter), I get a message indicating my "license has expired."

I've talked with Adobe and they have tried a couple of patches over the phone which have not worked. They have their "accelerated" problem team working on it but it has been 4 days now and I've heard nothing.

A phone tech guessed that the Raid 0 might be making the software think that the program has been installed previously on other machines. His initial response was that "this is indicating that you have already installed this program 3 times.

Did you have any problems installing and activating your PP2 and did you have it as a stand-alone or was it part of a package. If you did have activation problems, how did you solve them.

Any help would be appreciated.

maestro

Return to posts index

Steven Gotts
on Jun 25, 2006 at 4:00:35 pm

John
My month Demo is bout up and my associate purchased PP in chicago and will come home next week. yikes I dont look forward to that problem. I had no problem with Liquid or Vegas seeing the raid as 2 computers during activation, or office, but that allows 3 machines now, I suspect because they have no operating system or machine code. Whenever Ive had a problem with to many activations because of reinstalls, I called Sony Media Tech support, and they cleared my tally, maybe Adobe support can do that. How many machines does the Adobe liscence allow you to install to. every NLE Ive heard of now allows you to install one on your desktop and one for the road on your laptop.
Sorry I couldnt help, Ill soon find out if my G raid 500 triggers a mess for me with PP. I like PP's new interface and workflow and really like the clip notes feature, with very positive response from my clients.
thanks
Steven

Steven Gotts

Return to posts index

John Matheny
on Jun 25, 2006 at 6:56:49 pm

Thanks

John Matheny

Return to posts index

Blast1
on Jun 25, 2006 at 10:20:22 pm

[Steven Gotts] "How many machines does the Adobe liscence allow you to install to."
2 machines provided they aren't used at the same time.
I've loaded Ppro2 on a few peoples machines(AMD X2) with Raid 0 without any problems, only had a problem on one of my own(AMD X2) and I suspect Microsloth, it was a clean install for everything, but I had sound stutter problems while capturing, also the same problem with Sceneanlyzer, more than likely it came from upgrading XP pro SP1 to SP2 and SP2 may have left a bad file on it as it loaded temp files on the clean Raid, when the Raid was reformated the problem left.

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Jun 25, 2006 at 10:56:06 pm

Do you mean render, like in creating preview files? Or as in Export?

If you mean render, then why are you rendering? I guess the question is: What is the eventual output? Back to tape or to a DVD? If to a DVD, then rendering is pretty much a waste of time.

With luck, a RT.X2 user will pop in and answer the real question.... Does it speed things up. I imagine it does. Enough to pay for itself? That depends on how much your time is worth.

Steven
http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index

Steven Gotts
on Jun 26, 2006 at 4:34:42 am

thanks alot Steven for your assistance. hopefully a user will chime in. Very Good point on the renders as I do mainly DVDs and Wmv's
Thanks
Steven

Steven Gotts

Return to posts index

Jason Powell
on Jun 26, 2006 at 10:06:09 pm

Steven,

Personally, I would look into a seat of Canopus Edius. For the edit you described, I think Edius would spit out that timeline with no rendering whatsoever, even just using a OHCI connection. Your mileage may vary, but Canopus has the edge with their buffering to RAM technique of playback.

Of course, if you have the budget for a dual Opteron box and one of the Matrox cards that looks nice as well ;)

I believe you can still download a 30-day demo of Edius. Might be an interim solution.

Jason

Return to posts index

Steven Gotts
on Jun 27, 2006 at 12:39:57 am

Thanks Jason
I think Ill try the Edius as Im not hearing any thing positive on the matrox cards.

Steven Gotts

Return to posts index

Jay Handleson
on Jun 27, 2006 at 2:51:39 am

Steven,

Canopus and Adobe are like oil and water in the same PC. Each has their own merits, but I would not run both in the same PC w/o a dual boot system, especially with Canopus hardware involved.

Check out Canopus forums for info on their software/hardware, they have some extremely helpful and friendly users who are very knowledgable on the pluses and minuses of Edius.

JayH

Return to posts index

Steven Gotts
on Jun 27, 2006 at 2:58:54 am

hey jay thanks Ill do that, Im also now looking at newteks speededit ($495) and applied magics screen play box and forgo the whole computer thing. any feedback on either of those ideas.
Thanks
Steven

Steven Gotts

Return to posts index

Blast1
on Jun 28, 2006 at 12:59:44 am

[Jay Handleson] "Canopus and Adobe are like oil and water in the same PC. Each has their own merits, but I would not run both in the same PC w/o a dual boot system, especially with Canopus hardware involved."

I have no problems running Edius, Premiere 6.5 & Ppro 1.5 with the Video Collection on the same system with a Storm card for Edius & Premiere6.5 and running OHCI for Ppro, the problems start when you load the Canopus Ppro 1.5 drivers for the Storm, one advantage with this configuration is that the Ppro 1.5 is part of the video collection and you can get Photoshop and AFX video outputs from the Storm with Canopus plugins that have nothing to do with Ppro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]