FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mask Not Applying Properly

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aidan Wilhite
Mask Not Applying Properly
on Jun 28, 2020 at 8:07:12 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to do a simple wipe effect using the palm tree as my vertical divide between two clips.

When I apply the mask at the edge of the frame to start the wipe, the mask works fine, but unless I move the mask off-screen for the frames before it, the mask would be applied for the whole clip, thus creating this black area that I do not want.

But when I set a keyframe so that the mask is off screen, the 2nd frame (which should start the mask visible on screen) doesn't work. Premiere says that my mask is is there as indicated by my control points, but the mask sinply doesn't render until the 3rd key frame. It's only one frame, but I have absolutely no idea why it's doing this.

This process works fine on other clips, the only difference I can find for this specific one is that I've changed the speed to 40%.

Pictures for refrence:
- 1st Picture depcits the mask not applying in the 2nd key frame, and I believe it's doing this becasue I've moved the mask off screen for the first key frame
- 2nd picture depicts how the mask should look on the 2nd key frame, but the only way to make it apply correctly is to make that position the first key frame, but then my mask will apply to the entire duration before it (this can be noted by picture 3)

Thankful for any suggestions 🙂

Return to posts index

Tom Van Damme
Re: Mask Not Applying Properly
on Jun 29, 2020 at 6:53:35 am

Hi Aidan,

this is very much related to the speed factor of your clip. I've had the same experience before with masks on clips that run on speed other than 100%. Somehow the mask does not follow the new frame rate when you adjust speed of a clip. But it's hard to say what it DOES follow.

I'm not quite sure how to solve this the easy way - most of the time I just try to manually adjust the mask until it fits, hoping I don't need to adjust the speed again afterwards.
There must be a simple explanation as to why this works the way it does, but it totally eludes me ☹

Tom

Return to posts index

John Heiser
Re: Mask Not Applying Properly
on Jul 2, 2020 at 3:52:44 pm

Try nesting your speed-changed clip and apply the mask to the nest.

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas - Birmingham, AL

iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8GB
G-Speed Studio TB-2 12TB RAID-5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]