FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting audio for QC - Mixing together???

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devin Clarke
Exporting audio for QC - Mixing together???
on Jun 22, 2020 at 8:48:44 pm

My films audio just failed QC because the audio tracks were mixed together??

How do you export audio without the tracks being mixed together??

I have 8 tracks, (L,R,C,LFE, Ls,Rs & stereo L&R) That I need to export to 8 discrete audio tracks while being wrapped with APR 422 HQ video.
All attempts so far have led to the audio tracks getting mixed together.

Last time I selected - Under Audio Channel Configuration: exported 8 streams with 1 channel each. Channel layout to Discrete.

This is for a films QC (quality control), and I have the stems from the mix. But whenever I export from my NLE it still mixes them together. I've tried Premier and Resolve and I'm on a PC and have the latest version of premier.
Any help or tips appreciated.

Thanks

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
-William Arthur Ward, college administrator, writer (1921-1994)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Exporting audio for QC - Mixing together???
on Jun 22, 2020 at 10:21:26 pm

Instead of exporting video and eight track together, just export each audio track as its own as a separate file. Export a temp mix tied to the video so you have a guide track, if necessary, then reassemble them as required at the mix, and mute the guide tracks once you are sure everything is synced properly.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy forum.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 22, 2020 at 10:33:52 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "then reassemble them as required at the mix"

Sorry, what? At what mix?

The OP has 8 separate tracks, each 5.1 track as mono, and Stereo L and R as mono...and wants to export a file with all those as separate tracks. I do this all the time in Avid and Resolve, as it is a required output type. And it LOOKS like it should work given his settings, but it isn't.

Hmmm...I might have to see what I can figure out...I havne't had to delivery from PPro in this manner yet.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 22, 2020 at 11:09:01 pm

Oops!!! I missed the whole part about it being 5.1 surround with mixed tracks.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy forum.

Return to posts index

Devin Clarke
on Jun 23, 2020 at 2:51:20 pm

Hi Shane,

I have Resolve as well. But struck out there too. Do you have a workflow to export all 8 tracks as mono seperate discrete channels?

Thanks!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
-William Arthur Ward, college administrator, writer (1921-1994)

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 23, 2020 at 8:22:35 am

The settings do look like they should work as expected.

Have you actually re-ingested your exported file and checked yourself there is a problem?

Or use media info and see if you are getting 8 tracks.

I'm on Avid but use PP sometimes.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 23, 2020 at 11:57:34 am

The critical factor is how you set up your Output Assignments. Have you done this right?

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Devin Clarke
on Jun 23, 2020 at 1:23:23 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your responses. The film has been mixed already and I had the stems. It is for quality control, so they are checking all the audio channels and video elements for anything a distributor or network might reject.

I did find the answer though, had to patch each track in the timeline 1-2,3-4,5-6, and 7-8, in the mixer then export as mono tracks in the exporter 1-1, 2-2 etc, as discrete.

When I exported a test and re-imported, I could see all the tracks where perserved.

patch meters

What I was exporting.

Test re-import

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 23, 2020 at 1:58:48 pm

With respect, this is not "the answer" and in doing it this way you are messing with your output levels.

This is quite significant.

In this example, channels 1/6 are showing your method (note the discrepancy with the Lfe track) and 7-12 are showing the correct method.

You are losing 3dB of gain with your method and unbalancing the Lfe because it is not being attenuated.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Devin Clarke
on Jun 23, 2020 at 2:44:26 pm

Hi Simon,

That's not good, lol. How do you see it working?

The reason I don't make a 5.1 and stereo mix file, (as your first post suggests) is they have asked for:

'The audio should be exported as 24-bit, and each channel should be printed as its own Mono track, rather than delivered as a 6-channel and a 2-channel track. Be sure to export the channels direct so they are not mixed together.'

Do you have a suggestion as to the correct export, without getting the -3db gain and exporting mono tracks?

Or do I have to export as 5.1 and stereo to make it work? If you explain it to me, I can try and explain it to them and maybe get my film in that way.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 23, 2020 at 3:27:10 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jun 23, 2020 at 4:01:26 pm

The first step I would suggest it to Modify the mono clips in the Browser - right-click, Choose Modify/Audio Channels.

Set the Clip Channel Format to 5.1. And choose the appropriate channel for the track. Here I'm choosing C because I'm modifying the Centre track.

Premiere now knows how to route the clip in a multichannel sequence if you lay them in as 5.1 tracks rather than mono tracks.

Because the default output assignment is 1-6 you're now in good shape for the 5.1 mix.

You then simply need to add a stereo track to the sequence for your stereo mix and make sure that its output assignment is 7-8.

(Note that the whole process is a lot easier if you ask your dubbing mixer to make you an interleaved 5.1 mix because it saves you having to set the channel format and you can lay in the entire mix in one go.)

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Devin Clarke
on Jun 23, 2020 at 4:26:28 pm

Thanks for this. I think it could really help someone.

I'm not looking for a multichannel answer. Because they asked for ' printed as its own Mono track,' it doesn't look possible with what I know about Premier.

I've just tested exporting in Resolve and had success. There is a way to export all tracks as discrete mono tracks. But adding all files individually and using these settings. (in DR16)

Thank you for pointing out the 3 dB drop in the left channels. You save me some headache there!

All the best.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 23, 2020 at 4:32:57 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jun 23, 2020 at 4:57:01 pm

[Devin Clarke] "I'm not looking for a multichannel answer. Because they asked for ' printed as its own Mono track,' it doesn't look possible with what I know about Premier."

I've obviously confused you. This is entirely possible in Premiere and you were doing it. You handle that in the Export settings.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 23, 2020 at 8:19:04 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jun 23, 2020 at 11:52:28 pm

To clarify this for future users (and because this question often causes problems and confusion), please use the method I have described above to set up your multichannel sequence correctly for export.

Then if your delivery details specify "mono tracks", export as follows:

In the Audio tab specify the total number of outputs you require.

And select Mono for the Channel Layout.

The export will consist of "mono" channels.

If you require channels with their correct source labels (typically 5.1 on channels 1-6 and stereo on track 7-8) you can select these explicitly in the export menu. Click the plus sign to add a stereo pair (having made sure that it has been routed to 7-8 in your mixer).*

Premiere's routing options are very flexible but you have to have the patience to understand how they work and how to set up your sequence and your source tracks correctly.

* I have unintentionally shown the L/C/R/Ls/Rs/Lfe 5.1 routing here but usually these days you will be asked for L/R/C/Lfe/Ls/Rs (which you can of course choose from the dropdown menu).

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]