FORUMS: list search recent posts

NVMe array?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Peister
NVMe array?
on Jun 17, 2020 at 7:19:23 pm

Greetings! I'm tasked with editing a series of performances with 8 -10 camera ISOs. I'm using a 2018 mac Mini, 3.2gHz i7 with 32gigs of RAM and a 2TB SSD internal. I bought an Oyen Helix Dura 1TB NVMe external SSD for my video files and it's terrific! The project is 1080i and my proxy files are Apple ProRez Proxy. But now I need more storage for upcoming projects.

I'm contemplating this: https://www.netstor.com.tw/product_info.aspx?SerID=2&Title=Thunderbolt&ArID... and then adding (4) 2TB NVMe drives. I'm sure that there will be some data bottlenecking but still, the whole setup is quite small and should be relatively quiet compared to four traditional drives. Silly? Wasteful? If not, which NVMe SSDs would you suggest? Your input/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: NVMe array?
on Jun 18, 2020 at 5:42:02 pm

For the money, I think you might be better off with HDDs.

OWC makes 8-bay RAIDs that will get you a lot more storage space for the money, with performance that should be adequate for your needs. Plus, if you decided you wanted to go to SSDs at some later date, you can swap in 2.5" SSDs to these enclosures.

Just my personal opinion, obviously, and there are other vendors than OWC, of course. If you just WANT to get NVMe, I think it will probably be a good experience. My approach tends to be to get more good-enough storage, so I have enough speed and more space, rather than enough space and more speed than I can really use.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 18, 2020 at 8:37:54 pm

Curious on how you make out with that product.
Same opinion in regards to size over speed.
And most of the time your bottleneck is your workflow and/or CPU choice.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jun 19, 2020 at 4:31:43 am

even 4k prores 444 can be played back on a regular evo SSD 3x streams at a time. You're going to run into cpu cycles way before you ever hit 1200 MB/sec read/write bottlenecks. I just don't see how Nvme for HD 1080i is worth the money. Nvme are better for building audio peaking data and importing cache than media playback. and ironically prores 444 is a cpu worst case scenario. Any raw format actually takes less cpu cycles due to cpu/gpu code optimization. Unless you're playing back 4k Redcode RAW at 250 MB/sec per shot in multicam, I don't see the point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]