FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to remove video noise from black areas?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
How to remove video noise from black areas?
on May 19, 2020 at 1:57:58 pm

I had to help a colleague recently film himself with his Macbook, using Quicktime's movie recording feature, which worked okay in tests we did, with a largely white background behind him. But when we taped there's a pretty bad problem with that flicker-y video noise one sometimes gets, particularly in black areas of his background. Could you please check out the draft below and let me know if you know of any solutions? I'm hoping to find solutions in PPro or AFX, rather than using plug-ins for example. Within PPro I've already made some adjustments to it in color correction, but the video noise is still pretty bad. It's a frustrating problem, because I did do a test where this wasn't a noticeable issue. I guess the MacBook's camera was getting confused by the black areas perhaps, since our test was with a lighter background like I said.
Thanks for any thoughts here,
Neil

Return to posts index

jerry wise
Re: How to remove video noise from black areas?
on May 19, 2020 at 3:28:59 pm

you could crush the blacks further down to make the noise less noticeable.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 19, 2020 at 4:03:46 pm

If the shot is static (or min movement), you can mask an area and apply whatever works to crush the blacks or a noise reduction plug-in.
I mask to avoid changing the other parts of the shot.
I use Neat Video for issues like this but it could be overkill.

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on May 19, 2020 at 4:21:09 pm

or just bite the bullet and get Neat Video plugin.
i just tried it and it works well on your footage.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on May 19, 2020 at 7:53:29 pm

The Neat Video plugin will save a lot of headaches and it looks great too.

From their note: For fewer problems and faster rendering, make sure in the Premiere Effects Tab to move noise reduction above Lumetri Color. (I've found this works best for all video plugins.)

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on May 19, 2020 at 7:59:01 pm

Thank you very much Joe, Jerry and Eric! Really appreciate all the suggestions, including the points about masking and Neat Video. I also have a colleague who suggested Davinci Resolve, because we may have a license somewhere. Does anyone happen to know how it would fare against Neat Video for something like this? I expect Neat Video is a lot cheaper, but if we already have a Resolve license.
I tried to apply the good masking suggestion, crushing the heck out of the blacks all around him, and have a new draft below. Would welcome any comments, especially on whether you think Neat Video or possibly Resolve would still offer a big improvement over this draft.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]