FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving workspaces between systems

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Moving workspaces between systems
on May 15, 2020 at 1:47:34 pm

Is there a way to copy/move/export all of your custom Premiere Pro workspaces between two different computers? I realize you can open a project and with "import workspaces" enabled, it will import the workspace used when that project was saved. However, that's only one workspace. If I have created 5 different custom workspaces on one computer, is there a simple way to move those all to another system?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
Re: Moving workspaces between systems
on May 15, 2020 at 5:32:15 pm

Yes you can, but it's not exactly that simple. On a Mac go into your documents folder/ Adobe/ Premiere Pro / 14.0 / Profile / Layout folder. In there you will find all your custom and default workspace.xml files. Since Adobe will not rename these files according to your personal naming convention i.e (dual window layout or Olivers custom layout) you have to copy them all to the new computer and paste them in the same profile / layout folder.

If you want to take the time to dig into the xml files, go into the workspace folder and open them up in Text edit and do a keyword search for the name you called your custom workspace.

Or if you can save the current favorites and search by todays date and only copy the changed ones.

I filed a feature request for this change a long time ago as it seems crazy that the naming conventions don't match and you only get a default UserWorkspace_Number.xml and have to hunt and peck to find your custom workspace.

Sure would be great if Cloud syncing of your Preferences and custom layouts would just sync with what ever computer you are using and bring these custom workspace layouts to the new computer.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 15, 2020 at 6:18:22 pm

That's sort of what I thought. Thanks. Seems pretty dumb. ☺

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 17, 2020 at 7:38:24 pm

That is one of the biggest program flaws in the CC environment....window layouts. I run CC 2017, 2018 and 2019 and even 2020 on my iMac Pro. Never twice the same layout. What's worse, in AfterEffects on some pull down tabs, if I have the window on my second monitor it doesn't pull down...slide the entire window over to the other monitor and it works fine.

Also the window layouts seem to run on top of the system and they become persistent when opening or when crashed etc....they won't give up their real estate without a Force Quit.

I think the window layout division of Adobe needs a little house cleaning. One of my biggest frustrations.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]