I know there have been many, many posts about this, and I've read through most and tried a number of settings, cleared cache, rebooted, and burned sage as part of an exorcism, but can't get this one figured out.
Using Premiere Pro 13.1 (Floating underwear). I have tried upgrading in the past but it was a disaster. Currently on Mojave on an iMac late 2015 that I bought new in 2017.
Am using a 2TB OWC Thunderbay mini all SSD through Thunderbolt 2.
For a year and half, on a 1080p timeline, put down 10 layers of synced cameras, audio and video, 2 layers of audio from audio recorder and features, and two layers of graphics. The show is one hour long. The files are mpeg 4 in a quicktime wrapper made through Editready. Audio files are waveforms.
Now, advising me to convert files to something easier for the computer to edit with is not an option. The turnaround time is less than 24 hours. And, as mentioned, this configuration has worked fine for the last year and a half. It's been a good snappy response on the timeline and even in full resolution display mode the images keep up just great. ....that is until now.
After a few weeks of hiatus after a certain virus of which we will not speak of, we started back this week. NOW, it's running like a severely underpowered computer?
Very laggy, sometimes 5 or more seconds to wait for the image to catch up and that jeopardizes hitting the deadline. I tried some of the recommended settings changes, and nothing has made one bit of difference.
I've been monitoring the processors, thinking I may have a problem. I'm not an expert in reading the activity monitor to know if i have a processor failure, but, I don't see anything that indicates that level of problem.
Anyway, before I try a full update to Catalina and the latest PP, (which I'm doubtful will solve more problems than it creates) I thought maybe someone has experienced this. and offer some guidance.
During the down time, I made no changes, upgrades on the computer and only editing some basic stuff which seemed to work fine, however, it was not multilayered content.
Although I thought that I had been properly clearing the media caches, apparently I was not.
Upon discovering there were nearly 21,000 files in there, and clearing them out, the problem went away. Those files went back to when the system was brand new.