FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best method for consolidating media files

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
Best method for consolidating media files
on Apr 27, 2020 at 6:24:23 pm

Hi all,
I spent a lot of time recovering a Pr Pro CC 2013 project into Pr Pro 2019 and recovered most of it -- ready to move on but curious about the best way to consolidate media files for future proofing, if any.

To recover the project I spend much time seeking and linking media files. Because of my own odd habits over recent years I found them on two of my regular external media drives, an external backup drive, and under a username on an old MBP. (To make this easier, I ended up copying files from the MBP to a folder on the desktop of my current iMac running Catalina.)

So the media files were on 4 hard drives with different odd names in different folders.
Project Manager gives the dread Unknown Error for this project, even when the project opens and has no unlinked files. So I can't use that.

Is there another way to consolidate the media files onto external one drive in one folder? Maybe with more logical filenames? Or will any moving and renaming of files break all the links again.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
Re: Best method for consolidating media files
on May 3, 2020 at 3:41:46 pm

Hi all,
Does no one have any ideas about this?

I'll try to simplify: I have media files sometimes with odd names scattered among folders sometimes with odd names among 4 different drives. ProRes, mp4, Apple media from FCP7, audio wav files.

It has taken much time to find each file and relink to a PrP 2019 project.

What's the best way to consolidate these and put them in one folder on one (backed up) drive?
Should I rename the files? Will I have to relink them all over again?

Yes better media management might have prevented this. But it seems like a not uncommon problem.

Project Manager produces "Unknown Error" in any mode.

Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]