FORUMS: list search recent posts

30fps and 29.97fps clips out of sync

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aleksandar Lekic
30fps and 29.97fps clips out of sync
on Apr 16, 2020 at 6:44:56 pm

I already posted this on another forum, and I am still searching for an answer: I need to match screen recordings (done with Explain Everything app in iPad) with the camcorder clips of a professor lecturing. However, the EE clips progressively go out of sync, and cannot be matched to the camcorder clips, thus resulting in professor's actions on iPad (seen in PiP) not relating to the .
The EE clips are MP4, 30fps, 44KHz; the camcorder clips are AVCHD, 29.97fps; 48KHz.

I tried, to no avail:
1) To use Interpret Footage option in Premiere - to conform 30fps to 29.97fps and vice versa
2) Someone suggested to use Handbrake to conform EE clips to 29.97fps, and to Constant Frame Rate (CFR), and to 48KHz, and that didn't help, either.

Any other ideas? I have a lot of clips to match, and I am completely puzzled.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: 30fps and 29.97fps clips out of sync
on Apr 17, 2020 at 3:46:01 am

you need to narrow down the problem.

do they go out of sync in VLC before being transformed in handbrake?
do they go out of sync in VLC after being transformed in handbrake?

do they go out of sync in premiere when you playback the 30fps clips in premiere in a 30fps sequence with no issues or only when you combine them in a mixed media group?

Return to posts index

Aleksandar Lekic
on Apr 17, 2020 at 5:23:34 pm

Thank you, but in the meantime, I seemed to have found the culprit:, which is the way how Explain Everything records the lectures: it pauses recording in between the slides (according to Explain Everything "the pauses are caused by stopping and starting the framework that records audio clips for us") So, there are these silent parts, a few frames in duration, every time the professor advances slides, and the silence makes it impossible to sync the footage. It's not the VFR vs CFR, or 30 vs 29.97 issue.

Now, I have a daunting task to identify all of these pauses, delete them, join the clips together, and I bet they would sync up without any issues.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Apr 17, 2020 at 5:26:33 pm

you can use resolve's scene detect to remove the blank spots. all of this would have to be frame accurate of course. this is also why people use timecode or audio syncing with pluraleyes.

Return to posts index

Aleksandar Lekic
on Apr 17, 2020 at 6:15:07 pm

Thank you. As I never edited in Resolve, I just watched a tutorial on how to do it - I may try it: it seems that one needs to play with the settings, though. I've also been playing with Timebolt - unsuccessfully so far - as it claims that it can detect and delete the silent parts.

I am not sure that I get the part about PluralEyes. In my mind, if these silent parts were not occuring, I would have easily synced the footage with Synchronize in Premiere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]