FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendation for GPU

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Jay
Recommendation for GPU
on Sep 24, 2019 at 10:16:44 am

Hi guys,

So, My Windows pc has been in the storage for a while, but now its time to get it back up for a video project.
Having upgraded to the latest Windows 10 and Premiere 2018 i realized that i might need a new GPU.
Currently I have two linked AMD Radeon HD7800, but they are not compatible with Premiere anymore,

I have found a second hand Asus GeForce GTX 980 TI, but I am not sure if this is good enough for what i need to do.
I mainly work with 12-bit HD material, and sometimes 4K - i am doing a lot Warp stabilization so hoping to be able
to process this a bit fast at least.

Here is my system specs:
Intel i5 750 @ 2.67.Mhz (4 Cores) x64
16GB RAM, Lots of SSD harddisk space

Would this be a sufficient setup? Anything i need to take into consideration before getting a new GPU?

Any suggestions much appreciated :-)

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Recommendation for GPU
on Sep 24, 2019 at 9:46:12 pm

It looks like your Core i5 CPU is from 2009, so running a 10-year-old i5, a new GPU is the least of your problems. With Premiere, the CPU does most of the work while the GPU only helps with a select few things (and only if the GPU meets certain criteria with Adobe which most older models do not). The GPU Acceleration applies to just certain effects, and to scaling for instance HD to SD when exporting. The lion's share of processing will fall on your CPU which is inadequate, and for 4K work 32GB RAM is preferable also.

I'd be surprised if you can work with 4K at all honestly, and Warp Stabilization on any footage is going to be quite slow. I would save up for a faster computer with a minimum of a modern Core i7 processor and supported nVidia graphics if possible and not spend more money on the old system, not going to help much really.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Mark Jay
Re: Recommendation for GPU
on Sep 25, 2019 at 8:39:30 am

Thank you Jeff!

Very helpful answer ☺

Best
Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>