I have a timeline in premiere with some footage filmed in Sony S-Log2.
I want to add a VFX element rendered from Cinema 4D (EXR Linear workspace sequence), to this clip.
I am trying to figure out the best workflow for this but I'm struggling to find answers online for it.
Here is the workflow I am trying.
1. Create sequence in Premiere Pro with the edited LOG clip.
2. Apply SLog2 -> Rec709 technical LUT with Premiere's Lumetri plugin so footage looks pleasing to work with.
3. Replace clip with After Effects comp.
4. In After Effects, set project settings to 32Bit with sRGB working space and enable 'Linearize Working Space'.
5. Composite the EXR VFX element in after effects and color correct to match the footage.
6. Back in Premiere, apply the final colour grade, again using Lumetri.
The issue I have with this workflow is that step 4 makes the footage from Premiere (with Lumetri added to it) look terrible. The blacks are completely crushed. If I set the project back to 8-bit, non-linearized it looks the same as in Premiere.
Is there something I am doing wrong here? Is this the correct workflow for this?