FORUMS: list search recent posts

Case for Local Admin

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Brennan
Case for Local Admin
on Sep 9, 2019 at 7:53:13 pm

I am the first video producer/content creator in-house at my new company. The edit computer is locked down with a standard account and I am looking for supporting reasons why an editor, motion graphics artists needs local admin privileges to manage my own edit suite and install my own plug-ins and software. Do you have any ideas? I know I'll constantly be seeking their approval to instal tools, plug-ins, troubleshoot software (delete plists, library files, etc), but I don't know if this is enough justification.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Case for Local Admin
on Sep 10, 2019 at 9:12:57 am

This issue was a constant battle when I was Art Director at an ABC affiliate. There were strong reasons both for and against local admin privileges. First, the for - I needed to install fonts (which commercial clients demanded), plugins, software updates and sometimes third-party software.

The against - all of the above as well - anytime you go out on the web you are risking the possibility of an incursion, especially when your location has many computers on a network, and a nice, juicy, corporate target! In my opinion, the fors outweighed the againsts. I would constantly have to track down our IT guy, who, to be polite, had no idea of the ins and outs of font installation and plugin installation. I would have to spend extra time walking him through the processes - essentially a waste of my time.

I never won this battle, but my feeling is that if you have someone who is aware of the risks, and willing to be careful, you're likely to be safe giving them local admin privileges. The really strong side of my argument was that I was in charge of our graphic servers, their folder structure, and their contents. Yet I was not trusted for their safety. It's a battle worth fighting though...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Case for Local Admin
on Sep 10, 2019 at 10:08:53 am

What Joe said. IT can refute every reason, but you will never know if you don't swing for the fences.

You can also get your supervisor/manager engaged on it as well. Make sure they see with their own eyes a couple of incidences where everything comes to a halt because of the peculiarities of what we do. Then see if they will help with the issue.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]