FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing Video but not audio

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Continelli
Replacing Video but not audio
on Sep 9, 2019 at 12:40:21 pm

I am making a documentary that involved around a dozen or so interviews, each shot from two angles. About half of them needed color correction for a purple glow from a light that was not caught during shooting.

I hired someone to color correct the originals, and he will be delivering them to me tomorrow. I asked him to simply drop the original files into After Effects, creating a composition with the same specs as the original (frame rate, length, etc). My plan was to simply have Premiere point to the new files once they were delivered. It should be noted that this film is already cut, it is 35 minutes in length, and involves many short cuts.

The problem with my plan is, I didn't realize that After Effects doesn't export audio in 4-channel, and these interviews had the lav on one channel, and the camera mike on the other. As I was making this film, I of course killed the camera mike and used the lav.

When my colorist exports out of AE, it will export the audio as stereo. If I point the file in the bin to the new files, it will screw up the audio.

If there was a way to unlink the video and audio *in the bin*, then redirect the video to the video of the new files, that would be great, but this doesn't exist. So, as I see it, I have two options:

1. Bring in the color corrected files. Create new timelines for each clip using the old files, unlink the audio/video, kill the video and replace it with the video of the corrected files, then export that as a new file that will have the corrected video and the original audio (Premiere supports 4-channel export). This will be time consuming and will probably require a couple of nights of exporting all night, but when done, I will have files that I can simply redirect the original footage to and everything should be good.

2. Duplicate the Premiere project. In this new project, redirect the files to the color graded ones. This will screw up the audio. Copy the video only from the edited timeline and paste it into the original Premiere project. New video files *should* appear in the bin coinciding with the color corrected files, but the audio should still be pointing to the original files, which have 4-channel.

Am I missing an option that is better than any of the above? Can anyone think of any other way to do this that is faster/easier?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Hang Than
Re: Replacing Video but not audio
on Sep 9, 2019 at 12:59:53 pm

Try this trick:
1) In the original timeline, LOCK all video tracks (press shift when clicking the lock, if will lock all the tracks in one click)
2) Select all the audio tracks and move them 4 tracks down (use the shortcut alt+down for precision)
and then LOCK all the audio tracks
3) Now you have 4 available audio tracks for re-linking the graded footage
4) After done re-linking, just LOCK all the video tracks and audio tracks BUT the camera sound, then select all and delete them
Hope this help!

Return to posts index

Hang Than
on Sep 9, 2019 at 1:02:50 pm

Ahh don't need to lock the video tracks, just lock the edited audio, make some audio tracks available for relinking, then relink, then delete audio tracks not needed.

Return to posts index

Anne Continelli
on Sep 9, 2019 at 1:04:30 pm

I will try this. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]