FORUMS: list search recent posts

What format do I export out of Premiere Pro, in order to color grade a movie in Da Vinci Resolve?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
What format do I export out of Premiere Pro, in order to color grade a movie in Da Vinci Resolve?
on Jul 28, 2019 at 8:33:32 am

I want to color grade a finished project in Da Vinci, but I cannot figure out what format export out of Premiere Pro to do that, in which all the shots would be separate for Da Vinci. Does anyone know?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: What format do I export out of Premiere Pro, in order to color grade a movie in Da Vinci Resolve?
on Jul 28, 2019 at 4:54:28 pm

You want to grade all of the original clips used in Premiere Pro, correct? Then what you do is export an XML, and import that into Resolve. And then in Resolve, either manually add the clips to the Media Pool first, and then the XML, or import the XML and have it bring in the media.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

ryan elder
Re: What format do I export out of Premiere Pro, in order to color grade a movie in Da Vinci Resolve?
on Jul 28, 2019 at 5:30:32 pm

Oh okay thanks, but I am using someone else's sweet cause they have Da Vinci. When I move the XML over to their sweet, even if I have a back up copy of all the footage, Da Vinci still does not recognize where it is. So is there a way to get the clips into Da Vinci, without relying on the program having to look for where the back ups are?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 28, 2019 at 5:31:40 pm

Like for example, if I give someone else an OMF container for audio, all the audio clips are in the container, and they do not have to be sought after in a different area of a hard drive. Is there a video version of an OMF container, where you have all the video clips in the container itself, instead of XML?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jul 28, 2019 at 6:35:58 pm

You'd be well served to do some youtube searching on Adobe to Resolve workflows. There are a ton of videos that explain the process in detail.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 28, 2019 at 9:24:41 pm

Okay thanks, I found some tutorials on it and they say that Da Vinci does not accept XML and I need to export AAF out of Premiere. But I thought AAF was the same thing, and that you don't get copies of the videos with it.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jul 28, 2019 at 9:35:38 pm

You're using the wrong tutorials. Resolve accepts xml from Premiere and vice versa.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 29, 2019 at 5:26:35 am

Only AAF and OMF can contain media...XML cannot. And Resolve most certainly accepts XML, I online many many projects where I'm given an XML and media, from either FCX or Premiere, or AAF from Avid (linked to media, not embedded...which doesn't work.

You need to either bring the drive with the media to the suite, or copy all the media to another drive. And then, as I stated earlier, drag all the media into the MEDIA POOL, and then import the XML, and when it asks where the media is, point it to the bin in the pool where it exists.

One BIG issue to note is that many editing apps do not add a needed bit of data to tapeless media...a unique reel number. And many tapeless media types are shot with cameras that repeat clip names, so you will have several with the same name, and timecodes that start over, so Resolve will have issues linking to the right clip.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 29, 2019 at 2:00:52 pm

Okay thanks, but how do you fix the issue with Resolve not being able to link to the right clip?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jul 29, 2019 at 2:30:29 pm

[ryan elder] "Okay thanks, but how do you fix the issue with Resolve not being able to link to the right clip?"

That is called online editing/conforming and if it's not linked automatically then you need to do it manually.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 29, 2019 at 5:33:07 pm

Okay thanks, I just got back from attempting to do it on another sweet. I brought the harddrive with the footage on as well as the AAF. However, when trying to link the footage, the footage was grayed out and non-clickable. Does anyone know what the issue could be there?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 29, 2019 at 6:56:37 pm

A lot of prep work (conforming) happens in the NLE before you send it to Resolve. In Avid, you need to give all your footage REEL NUMBERS by modifying the clips. I'm sure you need to do something similar in Premiere. I'm not familiar enough with Premiere to know what you do to do that, but you need to assign a reel number to each different reel of footage. OR...like some do in Avid, give each clip a unique reel number. Yes, this can take a LONG time...this is one of the big issues with current editing software and tapeless media....there's no default to give it a reel number.

Back in the tape days, the editing software would always prompt you to type in a tape name when you put in a new tape. Tapeless ingest doesn't do that. FCP 7 would default add the tape ID by looking at the name of the folder the tapeless media was coming from. FCX didn't follow up with that practice until VERY recently. And Premiere and Avid don't do that at all. Which is why it needs to be done after the fact. I tried to online a feature doc cut on FCX and 60% of the footage linked improperly. To clips with the same name, and timecode, but many days and months apart. BIG issue with camera makers who make their cameras restart TC and clip names when you put in a new card, thus causing this need to "fix it in post" yet again.

OR...you can make sure all your media is full resolution in Premiere Pro, and then output a high res file of the whole cut...ProRes 444, ProRes HQ...or DNxHR HQ. And then export an EDL and bring in the final export to REsolve and use the EDL to chop up that clip. I always ask my clients to provide a full res export, so I can use that for footage that might not link up right (stills) and for areas where they use plugins or transition effects that I don't have.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 30, 2019 at 5:09:07 am

Oh okay thanks, none of the tutorials I read or watched on how to get an AAF out of Premiere into Resolve, talks about re-numbering all the takes. I gave the takes names so I would know which is which, of course. But each tutorial skips over this process.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]