FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence setting for mxf

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark DAgostino
Sequence setting for mxf
on Jul 25, 2019 at 2:38:16 pm

I typically shoot with a Canon300 Mark II. I've been happily editing along for years using an xdcam setting for my sequences. I'm curious what you all recommend for a sequence setting for mxf files since there is no choice in the drop down for mxf.

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Creative Media Productions - Exelon
Baltimore, MD
MacPro,2.7 Ghz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D700 6144MB, AJA Io XT, Yosemite 10.10.5

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Sequence setting for mxf
on Jul 25, 2019 at 4:55:39 pm

Select DNxHR/DNxHD and that exports as an .mxf file on the PC

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 25, 2019 at 4:56:37 pm

Just realized you are on Mac, but hopefully you get the same option there

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mark DAgostino
on Jul 25, 2019 at 5:21:26 pm

Thanks for your reply, Jeff. Sorry. I should have stated Mac. I'm, actually not concerned about how it exports. I export h.264. I was just wondering what codec in the drop down for sequence settings is best optimized for mxf for editing. What I do works well, but I'm simply curious, as always, if there's a better way.

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Baltimore, MD
MacPro,2.7 Ghz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D700 6144MB, AJA Io XT, Yosemite 10.10.5

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 25, 2019 at 5:23:23 pm

If looking for an .mxf codec as an "intermediate" then yes the Avid DNxHD is good, similar in size and quality to ProRes but in an .mxf wrapper.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 25, 2019 at 6:00:14 pm

That's like asking "What's the best setting for QuickTime in Premiere?" Because MXF is a CONTAINER, just like QT is. MXF can be one of many codecs:

XDCAM
DNxHD
DNxHR
1:1
14:1
DV
HDV
ProRes (yes, there is ProRes MXF)

So you need to find out what CODEC you are cutting. With the Canon C300s, that's XDCAM. But you can use DNxHD or DNxHR if you want. OR...auto-create the sequence to match the clip settings by dragging a clip into the NEW SEQUENCE icon.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 25, 2019 at 6:13:56 pm

Wow, I totally mis-read the OP and was thinking of an .mxf EXPORT format/codec, sorry! I do need new glasses.

I don't see where it matters that the Sequence Setting matches the "codec" you are working with. Really looking at these 4 parameters: Frame Size, Frame Rate, Fields, Pixel Aspect

Example:

1920x1080
Progressive (No Fields)

It's funny, if you let Adobe pick for you, it grabs the first preset alphabetically that matches the 4 specs of your clip so I might drop in a file and get ARRI CINEMA. While in fact an AVCHD or DSLR preset with same 4 settings will work JUST THE SAME.

So do what Shane said (drag to icon) or I do right-click on a clip in Project Bin and New Sequence from Clip. That will get you started in a Sequence with settings matching your source clip.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mark DAgostino
on Jul 25, 2019 at 7:23:25 pm

Thanks, Shane. I've been using XDCam for my setting all along. I've been at this for many years and am still struggling with "wrapping" my head around wrappers and codecs:)

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Baltimore, MD

Return to posts index

Mark DAgostino
on Jul 25, 2019 at 7:25:00 pm

Thanks, as well Jeff. I really appreciate this.

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Baltimore, MD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]