FORUMS: list search recent posts

New rig: Can it edit 4k in premiere?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Capel
New rig: Can it edit 4k in premiere?
on Jul 20, 2019 at 3:11:06 am

So I'm finally splurging on a new computer for editing after about 10 years. I've already ordered the following, but looked at a few videos and am wondering if I should've gone with Ryzen's 3900x instead? Here's what I got:

Intel i9 9900
GTX 1080 ti
32 GB Corsair DDR4 3000mhz RAM
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E motherboard
2TB SSD
6TB HDD

Will this allow me to edit 4k smoothly? What big a difference would I get if I switched out the processor for the 3900x? Thanks for any info!

FYI here's my old rig:
Intel i7 x980 @3.33GHz
24 GB RAM
GTX 770

Return to posts index

Merlin Vandenbossche
Re: New rig: Can it edit 4k in premiere?
on Jul 20, 2019 at 7:04:50 pm

Hey Chris,

As always all depends on the codec and source material. But in general this system will perform perfectly fine with 4K. Just make sure that (depending on codec) you store media on a fast enough drive. Don't expect ProRes444 in 4K and 60 fps to perform off of a spinning drive. SSD's or RAID are the way to go there.

ProRes, DNxHD, RED RAW, Cineform and the likes will run great on this beauty of yours. But as always: don't expect H.264 or HEVC to perform as good as those I-Frame codecs (when scrubbing in particular). Playback of those at full res will be OK (I can do that with an 8700K), but the 'general responsiveness' of GOP codecs is always 'struggling' a little compared to others. Just temper your expectations or if you want ultra butter smooth scrubbing: transcode. This is general good advice for H.264 or HEVC.

Also don't forget to enable iGPU in the BIOS of the board. This will allow you to turn on hardware accelerated decoding (under the PPRO preferences, 'media') and will allow hardware accelerated encoding when exporting H.264 or HEVC. PPRO uses the 'QuickSync' chip on the 9900K to help work with H.264 and HEVC. This will improve your overall experience with both codecs. But remember that the exports take a slight hit in quality when done through the hardware accelerated mode (but it's great for rendering out previews or when in stress of time) Here's a video explaining the iGPU for ASUS boards:

Also make sure to install the latest NVIDIA studio drivers to prevent any issues with the CUDA acceleration.

And concerning the choice vs. the 3900x. I personally believe the 9900K is a better choice for premiere pro and after effects. Performance of both should be generally close (the 3900x may win slightly in straight up tests), but the presence of an integrated GPU on the intel chip allows for this QuickSync tech to help with the GOP-based codecs. Which is a big win for intel and this neglects the slight difference in performance I think.

Return to posts index

Chris Capel
Re: New rig: Can it edit 4k in premiere?
on Jul 25, 2019 at 6:19:20 am

Hey Merlin, thanks so much for the detailed response! I've got the rig up and running now. I'll make sure to make that change to the bios setting you mentioned. Everything is running great! I'm able to edit 4k without any stuttering, so I'm happy. ☺

-Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]