FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro/Resolve Crashing in 4K/CUDA workflow.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Preet Malhotra
Premiere Pro/Resolve Crashing in 4K/CUDA workflow.
on Jul 9, 2019 at 4:16:41 am
Last Edited By Preet Malhotra on Jul 9, 2019 at 4:21:59 am

Please read, especially senior hardware experts, if any.

Asus FX553VE
i7 7700HQ
1050Ti
32GB
512 GB SX8200Pro NVMe

Windows 10 180x/1903
Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018, 2019
DaVinci Resolve Studio 15.2.3.015

Render times are 10 min for a 20 min1080p project and 25 min for a 20 min 4K project. I am satisfied with the speeds. However, I am facing a weird issue that my programs keep crashing randomly when I use GoPro 7's H.265 4K footage. This started happening after a fresh install of Windows. My Laptop came with genuine Windows 10 and I use it primarily for videos. I added NVMe and RAM later. Both worked fine. After using stock Windows for few months, I decided to install Windows in NVMe because it was in a 7200rpm drive earlier. And my programs have been crashing since then.

I have no idea what went wrong. I have tried installing different versions of W10 from internet/official ISOs from Microsoft, I have tried different versions of Premiere Pro from different sources, I have tried messing with different versions of Media Encoder as well. The problem is same in Premiere Pro and Resolve.

This makes me think that the issue is with GPU or Drivers, but my games are running totally fine. Another issue worth mentioning is that my Afterburner stopped working as well. It says 'Connection to GPU1 lost'. One solution on internet was installing all MS VC++ Redists, but didn't work. None of the projects crash in 1080p. Only happens in 4K. Moreover, none of the programs crash in Software/CPU mode. They only crash on CUDA acceleration. I usually get Blue Screen with this file at fault- nvlddmkm.sys, which happens to be a nVidia driver file. This makes me think that GPU is at fault. The workaround is editing in software only mode and switching to Mercury CUDA before exporting, but it ruins the purpose of having a GPU and H.265 playback is choppy at 1/8 and export window crashes occasionally (CUDA), CPU only exports are super slow. Another big thing is 4K bitrate won't go above 40MBps, even is set at 240MBps. Whereas 1080p bitrate can be anything I like from 0-50MBps.

This is confusing because my games are running fine even at GPU/CPU temperature of 90/95 degrees Celsius. I repeat, I have done infinite clean installations, swapped HDDs and RAMs. I am sitting at home from 2 months without work and now I am planning to switch to a PC which is going to cost a fortune considering my current financial status. The bigger problem is I am unaware of the issue. I rectify/diagnose laptop issues for many friends and have worked with more than 50 laptops on hardware level, but this issue is out of the world. This is very annoying, as I do not understand the issue, and therefore do not know if an upgrade will help or not.

Love and Regards,
Preet Malhotra

Spare Wheel Official
bit.ly/sparewheel

Return to posts index

Merlin Vandenbossche
Re: Premiere Pro/Resolve Crashing in 4K/CUDA workflow.
on Jul 15, 2019 at 9:19:45 am

Hello Preet,

Obviously try to update GPU drivers to see if CUDA performance returns to normal, if possible to Nvidia's creator ready drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/145178/en-us

But I expect you are well beyond this?

Also I am still amazed at how many people on this forum are trying to edit high resolution H.264 or H.265 files natively and expect it to be butter smooth. Both codecs are horrible for any editing situation as they are GOP-based and rely heavily on CPU for decoding in most apps. H.264 or HEVC, while it is improving, will almost never scrub or play back as perfectly as an I-frame only codec. Try transcoding or optimizing media to ProRes or DNxHD codecs and relinking to those files. See if it improves your situation.

As always: resetting prefs for premiere (ALT+SHIFT while app launches) and deleting cache and databases (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2152942) are two standard operations you should always do when troubleshooting.

Good luck to you!

Merlin

Return to posts index

John Heiser
Re: Premiere Pro/Resolve Crashing in 4K/CUDA workflow.
on Jul 16, 2019 at 3:38:06 pm

Merlin's advice on cache maintenance is quite valid. As for speeding up editing, you can either transcode all your media as he suggests and work with the trancodes at full res, or simply use the Proxy workflow for editing 4k. Making smaller-frame-size ProRes or DNx proxies will smooth out the editing dramatically.

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas - Birmingham, AL

iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8GB
G-Speed Studio TB-2 12TB RAID-5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]