FORUMS: list search recent posts

reflection from a television

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Solem
reflection from a television
on Jul 2, 2019 at 2:11:14 am

I recently created a video of an elderly aunt who is ailing. Because her voice is very weak I was more concerned about the audio and muted the volume on the TV set, but discovered that the tv reflection would occasionally flicker across her face. It's a lesson learned but I probably won't have a chance to do this over, so is there any way of removing or at least mitigating the reflection? Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: reflection from a television
on Jul 2, 2019 at 10:30:46 am

Hard to say without seeing it. But ultimately, it is a light source. You probably cannot flag it out in post without creating other artifacts or issues, especially if it is on her face..

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 2, 2019 at 3:05:50 pm

I haven’t seen it, so maybe it’s much worse than I am imagining, but you may be reacting more negatively because it’s not something you planned on. You’ve seen TV reflections as a light source (some even created artificially!) in movies and television shows before. Ultimately, it’s the subject that matters, and that’s all anyone will care about. Make it look as good as you can without trying too hard to hide the TV. If you go to great lengths to try to eliminate the TV reflection you may end up making her look artificial and drawing more attention to the fact something was doctored. Maybe try desaturating the dominant colors in the TV reflection a little using secondaries, but don’t go crazy and create new problems.

Return to posts index

Christian Solem
on Jul 3, 2019 at 7:24:34 pm

Thanks for responding, but what you said gave me an idea. I'm more of a Photoshop user than Premier but if I was in PS I might try copying the data from the red and green channels and pasting it into the blue channel (since the reflections are mostly bluish). I've used this technique in photo restoration and it has been really effective but I'm unsure how this might work on video or even if it can be done.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 5, 2019 at 5:06:19 pm

Haven’t had any luck doing what you suggest in Premiere (but Avid Symphony and Resolve can do this well)

Premiere has this, which I have not had much success with, but here you go.

Mix color channels in a clip

In the Effects panel, click the triangle to expand the Video Effects bin, and then click the triangle to expand the Adjust bin.
Drag the Channel Mixer effect to the clip in a Timeline panel.
Note:

If the clip is already selected in a Timeline panel, you can drag the Channel Mixer effect to the Video Effects section of the Effect Controls panel.

Decrease or increase a channel’s contribution to the output channel by doing any of the following to a source color channel:
Scrub an underlined value to the left or right.
Click an underlined value, type a value between –200% and +200% in the value box, and press Enter (Windows) or Return (Mac OS).
Click the triangle to expand the Channel Mixer controls, and drag the slider to the left or right.
(Optional) Drag the slider, scrub the underlined text, or type a value for the channel’s constant value (Red-Const, Green-Const, or Blue-Const). This value adds a base amount of a channel to the output channel.
(Optional) Select the Monochrome option to create an image containing only gray values. This option achieves this result by applying the same settings to all the output channels.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]