FORUMS: list search recent posts

exceptions to not changing original camera (card) directory

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
exceptions to not changing original camera (card) directory
on Jun 26, 2019 at 8:52:13 pm

I have always understood it was best practice not to change the original camera directory. I ask because among other things I’m a video archivist at a NGO and I’m being asked to make an exception for a vendor (a seasoned video-maker I’m told) who’s workflow involves modifying clip names in the above directory. The camera in question is a Sony A7S2, the clips have names like C0001.MP4

It seems to me that one could modify and/or add to clip names in editing software (typically Premiere), so as enjoy those advantages without actually changing the directory itself. In the case of this camera directory (or others) am I being too conservative?

For extra credit… In giving the situation some thought, I can think of one instance where my preference for adding descriptive metadata in Premiere might be inadequate. If one routinely repurposes footage and desires to search the collection across many jobs and years, one could make a case for changing the clip name to make it discoverable… and not having to use Premiere to perform such global searches. Any good solution wold want to avoid having to re-enter descriptive metadata, thoughts?

At the risk of making this question too dense, are people out there exporting or migrating Premiere descriptive fields into a master database? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Paul

Return to posts index

John Heiser
Re: exceptions to not changing original camera (card) directory
on Jun 26, 2019 at 9:44:57 pm

I believe Prelude is specifically designed to handle file renaming and metadata addition much more smoothly than just Premiere. Check out Jason Levine's livestreams from Monday and today on this very subject:

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas - Birmingham, AL

iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8GB
G-Speed Studio TB-2 12TB RAID-5

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
Re: exceptions to not changing original camera (card) directory
on Jun 27, 2019 at 11:16:36 pm

Thanks John, I just watched part 1, fantastic! Funny that it went up a few days before my post. Great timing:)

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]