FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Captions in Adobe Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Imry Halevi
Closed Captions in Adobe Premiere
on Jun 4, 2019 at 7:55:06 pm

Hello.

I have a file that has embedded closed captions in it. The file is a recording of a live broadcast that had 608 captions embedded live, and then saved using a AJA HELO device.

The file is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zb0t88uph1vynew/AABjVMdiY4OuGqMJ9bk6cpQMa?dl=0

When I open the file in VLC, I can see the captions. No issue.
But Adobe Premiere does not see the embedded captions in the file. QuickTime Player also doesn't recognize the captions.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Imry

Return to posts index

Ryan Drum
Re: Closed Captions in Adobe Premiere
on Jun 4, 2019 at 8:13:51 pm

A quick thing to look at would be in the preferences - media menu, make sure you have 'include captions on import' checked.

Return to posts index

Imry Halevi
on Jun 4, 2019 at 8:16:10 pm

Yes. It’s checked.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 4, 2019 at 10:40:01 pm

I don't see any captions in VLC.

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Imry Halevi
on Jun 4, 2019 at 11:07:50 pm

You have to activate "Captions" in VLC. They're no on by default. Also - the captions starts a few seconds into the video.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 5, 2019 at 11:02:27 am

Yes, I know.
But there is nothing.
BTW: an H264 normally doesn't contain CCs from live recording.

Are you sure that there is no side car file?

Spherico

Return to posts index

Imry Halevi
on Jun 5, 2019 at 1:25:14 pm

The captions are there:

But you are right in that only VLC can see them. My question is - why? Is it the recording? The encoding? Something else?

Return to posts index

Imry Halevi
on Jun 5, 2019 at 1:51:49 pm

So...when I create a new project in Premiere, add captions to it, and try to export it with embedded captions, I can only do it in "QuickTime" file format. And that format doesn't support H.264 encoding. If I export the file in QuickTime ProRes, it has embedded captions that I can see in Premiere and QuickTime Player. But VLC player doesn't see those captions.

A QuickTime file encoded in H.264 can have embedded captions, but then Premiere and QuickTime Player can't see them.

Is there no way around this?

I need files that are 2-3 hours long, with embedded captions. I can't use ProRes for that. The files would be far too large.

Return to posts index

Richard Clabaugh
on Jun 5, 2019 at 10:36:38 pm

Imry - I have posted a work around to this problem in reply to your other post in the other thread here:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/1003531

It's multiple steps and may or may not work for you, but it's what I'm doing to get H.264 files with closed captions embedded from projects edited in the current version of Premiere Pro.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Imry Halevi
on Jun 6, 2019 at 1:50:34 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 5, 2019 at 6:47:04 pm

I don't see any captions, that's why I asked for side car files.

Spherico

Return to posts index

Richard Clabaugh
on Jul 20, 2019 at 4:58:14 am

Imry,

This is the correct link the the procedure I am using:

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/1009280

Return to posts index

Richard Clabaugh
on Jul 20, 2019 at 5:01:20 am

I've developed a few work around methods to get the H.264 with embedded captions that I need to deliver to clients, but it's in multiple steps. Also I'm working on 30 second commercials that I have to deliver via upload to stations that require Closed Captions embedded in an H.264 file for upload. They don't take sidecars and ProRes is too big to upload so not accepted.

For you the size of the material may be an issue, but here's what I do.

First - Edit and do your captions as normal in your current version of Premiere Pro, then Export as a Quicktime ProRes file with the captions embedded for use an an intermediate master.

Once I've done that there are two ways I can get a final H.264 with captions.

Method 1
Step 1 - An older copy of Premiere Pro: I have an OLD copy of Premiere Pro in which I can open the exported ProRes file. While the old version will not open a newer Premiere Pro project file, it will open a ProRes file as that format has not changed.

Step 2 - From that program, I can still export an H.264 with embedded closed captions, so once I have that file open, I export the H.264 just like I used to.

I have two machines, one of which I keep the older Premiere Pro on, but if you have only one machine you can still do this by downloading an older version of Premiere Pro (it's an option you have to dig for but it's there in the subscription) and run that version only when you need to do this step.

This works on Mac or PC and requires no additional spending.

Method 2 - if working on a Mac:

A little bit of money (not a lot) but easier...

I downloaded Apple's "Compressor" software ($50) and use that to convert the ProRes intermediate file to an H.264 with embedded captions. It's one a single step and that's pretty much all I use Compressor for, but it's easier than working between two machines or keeping two versions of Premiere Pro installed.

Alternate: I you don't want to work in ProRes - I believe you can marry a sidecar file to a video file in Compressor and export that way, which keeps you from having to make a large ProRes intermediate, but may result in a little loss of video quality as you re-compress H.264.

Yes, all of these are a pain in the butt and a stupid set of work arounds that should be unnecessary, but that's what I'm doing to deliver the commercials I do for broadcast with embdded closed captions as I am required to do for the jobs I have.

I don't understand why Adobe removed this feature from their products. I assume they must have to pay a license fee and decided it wasn't worth it for most people, but it's a major inconvenience for me as a working broadcast professional.

Sorry I don't have a better method. If others do, I'm eager to hear it.

Return to posts index

Imry Halevi
on Jul 22, 2019 at 11:47:03 am

Thanks for the info!

The only thing I haven't solved yet is how to get my H.264 files that already have embedded captions into Premiere, which maintaining the captions. Can't figure that out.

Return to posts index

Imry Halevi
on Jul 25, 2019 at 5:01:11 pm

Tried an old version of Premiere. Still can't get it to read the embedded captions.

Here is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2rhegjpr4ulgv0/Closed%20Captions%20LiveCut%20Tes...

I can see the captions in VLC Player and Handbrake. But how can I import them into Premiere. Happy to convert, extract or demux them first. But how? Where?

Imry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]