FORUMS: list search recent posts

Low CPU usage if there is a text layer and timeline playback randomly stop and sometimes choppy

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
reko tomo
Low CPU usage if there is a text layer and timeline playback randomly stop and sometimes choppy
on May 22, 2019 at 8:44:44 am

I just have a new rig with one 120 gb SSD and one 300gb HDD.
CPU AMD Ryzen 5-2400G, 8gb RAM and A320M motherboard.
I use the intergrated GPU. Windows 10, Premiere Pro 2018 v12.1.
Operating System is on the SSD, media cache files also on SSD.
1080i video footage (MTS file from my handycam) is on the HDD.

For the Premiere sequence setting I never choose from the preset as I just
drag my video footage from the project window into the blank timeline and Premiere
create a sequence and have the sequence setting automatically.

With no other application run/open, when I export to final movie
(I export it to H264 "match source - high bitrate" preset setting),
I notice that if on the Premiere timeline I put text as the second layer above my main video layer,
the CPU usage (I saw it on the TaskManager) is only between 40 to 60%.

If I animate the text layer, the CPU usage drop to 25 to 40%.
If I put more than one text layers and they are all animated, the CPU usage drop to 15 to 30%.

If there is only one layer which is only the main MTS video on the timeline, the CPU usage is between 80 to 90%.

Is this normal ?

Another problem:
During the editing stage, when I playback the timeline, it always happen randomly like this :
1. after the timeline play, suddenly the video freeze on the Premiere monitor
but the audio still continue play and vice versa, sometimes the audio stop but the video still continue playing.

Sometimes it stop after a few minutes and sometimes it stop after a few second even
if the timeline only has one layer (which is the main MTS video).

2. hit the space bar on the keyboard to play the timeline and also trying to click
the play button on the Premiere monitor sometimes doesn't work.

3. If I playback where the timeline has two layers audio (with one video layer only, the main MTS video),
sometimes suddenly one of the audio layer doesn't sound, while the video and the other audio still play correctly.

When those three kind above happen all the time randomly, when I saw the red led on my computer,
it keeps light on (not blinking) which after the red led not on anymore then I can continue my work.
Hit the space bar of my keyboard or click the play button on the Premiere's monitor work after the red led not light on anymore.

For this problem (which occur even on 1/4 playback resolution), I'm quite sure it's not normal,
because with my old rig (Intel i5, B85M mobo, 8gb RAM, Windows 7, no SSD, Adobe Premiere v7.2.1, intergrated GPU) I never experienced those problem.

I wonder what cause this problem.
Is it Premiere ? or is it the new computer ?
How do I resolve it ?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advanced.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Low CPU usage if there is a text layer and timeline playback randomly stop and sometimes choppy
on May 22, 2019 at 10:15:17 am

Low RAM, minimal storage, integrated graphics, and cache files on the same drive with OS and apps are all working against you.

GPU is more important to performance in Premiere Pro. RAM should be 16GB at bare minimum, 32GB would be advisable. Cache file should (ideally) be on another drive, separate from OS, apps, and project/media.

Not everyone can set up an ideal system, though - I get that. What you have now is not an ideal system, so expect some performance compromises.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

reko tomo
Re: Low CPU usage if there is a text layer and timeline playback randomly stop and sometimes choppy
on May 23, 2019 at 2:45:19 am

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the reply.

I realize that my rig is not enough to edit with Adobe Premiere.
But with the new rig I hope at least I have the editing experience with Premiere the same as when I was in the old rig,
because I thought that the computer configuration in the new rig is similar with my old rig.

As I mentioned before, I never had any drop frames during timeline playback in my old rig
if the timeline only consist the MTS file (one video layer and one audio layer) with no effect.

Now with the new rig, where the timeline also has MTS file only (one video layer and one audio layer) with no effect,
even in 1/4 resolution, I frequently facing laggy/choppy playback (drop frames) randomly.

you wrote:
Cache file should (ideally) be on another drive, separate from OS, apps, and project/media.

I've already try that. Plug my other 500gb 7200rpm internal HDD.
Put all the MTS file from my handycam in there.
Set the Media cache file on other HDD, 300gb 7200rpm internal HDD.
Premiere project file (.prproj) save in the SSD where the OS and App is here.
I still experience laggy playback frequently with MTS files only in the timeline (no effect), 1/4 resolution.

When I was in the old rig, everything is in the same physical disk : OS, App, MTS files, Media Cache files.
No laggy playback with MTS files only in the timeline (no effect), even at full resolution.

You wrote:
RAM should be 16GB at bare minimum

Currently I don't have money to buy one more 8gb DDR4 RAM stick.
But if this is the only solution which will solve the laggy playback and Low CPU usage,
then I will collect some money to buy one more RAM stick in the future.

Thank you once again for your reply, Jon.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on May 23, 2019 at 10:46:48 am

You are welcome, my friend, and I wish you the best in resolving your playback issues. You could also try transcoding to a less compressed codec for editing; that may also help.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

reko tomo
on May 23, 2019 at 1:14:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Jon. Really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

reko tomo
on May 30, 2019 at 11:11:26 am

I just want to update about my problem which finally (maybe, hopefully) I solved it after trying "this and that".

So, after I change to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" in the Premiere project setting,
1. drop frames (laggy video on the Premiere monitor) during the timeline playback is gone
(still only if there is no effect applied to the MTS file)

2. exporting is now faster as the CPU usage (shown in the Task Manager) now vary from 30 to 100% rapidly.

Yet, I still don't understand because many times I read article I found in the internet, it say that using "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" will have a slow rendering --- using "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL)" will make faster rendering. And also it's true when I was on my old rig (Intel) because I experience it by myself that if I use "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" on my old rig I get a slow performance. But now in the new rig (AMD) is on the contrary :).

Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]