FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blend 2 Separate Panning Shots Together So It Looks Like No Cut

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Keenan
Blend 2 Separate Panning Shots Together So It Looks Like No Cut
on May 16, 2019 at 11:56:28 pm

I'm going to start a commercial project soon.
The director has a concept of no visible cuts. Everything transitions when the camera pans.

The idea is that a person will speak on camera, then the camera will pan left (until the person is out of frame) and land on a background shot (like a textured wall or something), then I put graphics over the background shot.
Then the camera pans again (off of the background shot) and lands on another person speaking.

Here's the hard part:
The director needs to shoot the interviews/people in a separate location ....... Then go to a new location to shoot the background/wall shots.
That means he will shoot the interviews and pan left off of each person into an unusable shot.
He will then shoot the the backgrounds starting on a pan left and landing on the shot of the wall/background.
I need to transition between those two shots while they are both panning without any visible cut or transition.
So in the end, it looks like the camera just keeps panning left and landing on a new shot.

Is there an effect for this?
I've considered trying a "morph cut" but is there something more sophisticated?

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Blend 2 Separate Panning Shots Together So It Looks Like No Cut
on May 17, 2019 at 10:35:02 am

There's an After Effects template out there (I think it is part of the Storyblocks library) that creates various kinds of transitions, including panning transitions. They are all really still cuts, of course. But a cut no one sees isn't a cut.

You can also fake it with a horizontal push, using an object such as a post or wall butt (real or virtual) that is isolated and keyed in over the vertical cut line.

Creating the illusion of no cuts is just that - illusion. Actually having no cuts is just an exercise.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Rory Keenan
on May 17, 2019 at 7:56:03 pm

Unfortunately these are not going to be "whip pans".
I wish they were......that would make this much easier.

These are going to me medium-slow, deliberate pans.

Is the "Storyblocks library" something I have to buy separately, or is it something that comes with AfterEffects?
(I only know the basics of AE).

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on May 17, 2019 at 4:53:47 pm

Just make sure the whip pan that they do on set is really fast so it introduces lots of motion blur, then crossfade on the blurry portion. Red Giant also has a Whip Pan transition effect in one of their packages that works pretty well. You could combine it with the physical transition to good effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]