FORUMS: list search recent posts

Detrimental (possibly GPU related) Premiere Slowdown.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierce Wilson
Detrimental (possibly GPU related) Premiere Slowdown.
on May 4, 2019 at 7:29:25 pm

Hello,

About a month ago I started working on a 360 VR project in Premiere - this obviously was quite processor intensive and I experienced significantly slower render and export times. However since this project, Premiere has been nearly un-usably slow, and I have some strange GPU issues. The playback window will freze, then flash full white - and will not display again until I switch the GPU playback option (it doesn't seam to mater if its on Mercury, Open GL, or software only - its equally slow and buggy on each setting) It will freeze while dragging a clip, and the spinning beach ball will apear for 30 seconds after right clicking on a clip - all in all it's nearly un-usable. Below is my specs and what I've tried so far.

System Specs
  • MacBook Pro 15in mid 2015
  • 10.14.4 (18E227)
  • 2.5ghz i7
  • 16GB Ram
  • AMD Radeon R9 M370X
  • Intel Iris Pro

Fixes I've already tried:
  • Clear cache / database
  • Updated full Creative Cloud suite
  • Updated Mac OS to 10.14.4
  • Working from internal SSD
  • Working from external drives (USB 3.0, and Thunderbolt)
  • Uninstall / Reinstall Premiere
  • Reboot into diagnostics mode to check graphics card status (it came up fine)

I'm at my wits end, and am not sure if I should try a fresh install on a new HD, or buy a new computer and start from scratch - so any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Detrimental (possibly GPU related) Premiere Slowdown.
on May 5, 2019 at 12:22:03 pm

First, 16GB of ram is a bit low. 32GB would be better.

Second, when you say you "updated" Adobe CC, is that a fresh install of existing version (for example CC 2017 or 2018), or latest version upgrade (2019)?

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Pierce Wilson
on May 5, 2019 at 3:27:31 pm

Ah for sure I could do with more RAM. However I don't believe that is the issue in this case, as there has been a massive drop in performance over the space of a week. I can now no longer playback 1080p pro-res 422 footage in Premiere - whereas I still have no trouble with playback and editing of up to 8K footage in Resolve or After Effects.

I first tried to update via CC manager, then did a full un-install then re-install of Premiere.

Return to posts index

Merlin Vandenbossche
on May 5, 2019 at 9:09:37 pm

One of the first things I would try to do is the combination of:

- Deleting the media cache database in the library folder (user/library/application support/adobe/common).
- Reset preferences of the app: holding down CTRL + CMD + ALT while launching the application.
- Create a new clean project and re-import my old one.
- Reset my workspace or delete my old one and re-create it in the new version.

Performance on a Mac from 10.13 and onward should be best using Metal as the renderer (project settings).

Return to posts index

Merlin Vandenbossche
on May 5, 2019 at 9:14:05 pm

Also check for updates or uninstall third party plugins (Red Giant, etc.). Updates of Premiere Pro usually require updates of the plugins as well.

Return to posts index

Pierce Wilson
on May 13, 2019 at 4:07:09 pm

Ah I havent tried that! I did actually install a slew of 360 related plugins right before this issue occurred, so maybe thats the issue.

Return to posts index

Todd VanSlyck
on May 9, 2019 at 4:31:21 pm

Do you have a video card displaying to an external monitor? I had a similar issue where i would get the white screen of death pretty frequently. If I disabled my video card output (I had an older BlackMagic card) there were no issues.
I ended up getting a better video card (one that could handle 4k) and most of my issues went away.

Dell Precision 5810 Intel Xeon 3.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro M4000
Adobe Premiere Pro CC
After Effects CC
Cinema 4d r14

Return to posts index

Pierce Wilson
on May 13, 2019 at 4:09:27 pm

Ah I don't have a video card or any external monitor. Though I have noticed when I use Adobe DV out to a miniDV deck (so old school..I know..) I get quite a bit more white screens of death and odd GPU glitch screens system wide.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on May 13, 2019 at 3:55:08 pm

Question... how much space is on your system drive and what is the total drive capacity? And same question for the drive with your media.
TC

Return to posts index

Pierce Wilson
on May 13, 2019 at 4:10:17 pm

I generally keep between 500GB and 1TB on my media drives (though this issue occurs regardless of drive) and about 30GB free on my system drive.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 13, 2019 at 5:10:32 pm

This doesn't sound like a Premiere problem at all. You have an underpowered laptop that needs some general maintenance.

tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Pierce Wilson
on May 15, 2019 at 3:21:31 pm

I think I've figured out the issue! After systematically un-installing the host of plugins I've installed on my system, it looks like the Insta360 Premier Importer / Stitcher was the issue. I've deleted the plugin and host application, and haven't had any playback or issues otherwise since!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]