FORUMS: list search recent posts

One of my clips refuses to render, does anyone know what the problem could be?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
One of my clips refuses to render, does anyone know what the problem could be?
on Apr 16, 2019 at 8:26:00 am

I have a clip in Premiere Pro which won't render on the timeline, so I can't play it back and see it properly. The only difference with this clip compared to the others, is that I sent it to after effects to do some masking and layering effects. But I've done this with clips before, sent to after effects, and they rendered fine after.

When I try to render it, the program will freeze and need to be shot down by force, to get back up and running again. Or it will take super long only to stop, without actually rendering it.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: One of my clips refuses to render, does anyone know what the problem could be?
on Apr 16, 2019 at 10:05:49 am

In my experience the Premiere Pro - AE dynamic linking has mostly been a nice idea instead of being something useful. Render your comp from AE and replace the clip in Premiere.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
Re: One of my clips refuses to render, does anyone know what the problem could be?
on Apr 16, 2019 at 4:36:15 pm

Okay thanks, I did just that actually :). What format should I render it out of AE in? If I do it in a AVI file, Premiere has trouble playing it on the time, as it keeps pausing, but I want the highest quality possible too of course.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 16, 2019 at 5:31:06 pm

[ryan elder] "If I do it in a AVI file, Premiere has trouble playing it on the time, as it keeps pausing, but I want the highest quality possible too of course."

"AVI file" doesn't mean anything as it can hold all kinds of codecs in it. If it's not playing back it means you've probably exported as uncompressed which needs fast enough storage to run in realtime. I don't know what kind of stuff you've actually done in AE but Prores 4444 would probably be a good bet.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Apr 16, 2019 at 6:59:58 pm

Yeah I just went with the 'lossless' setting that AE puts out. I forgot about Prores I will try that. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 17, 2019 at 1:45:09 am

Using Dynamic Link for a PP - AE - PP round trip is a crap shoot at best. Up until now, you've been lucky.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Apr 17, 2019 at 1:50:07 am

Yeah I think this is the only the second time it has failed me so maybe I am lucky. But from now I will make a separate video copy, exported out of AE. What about other programs that are linked to Premiere, like Adobe Audition?

I feel it's better to edit the clip in Premiere first, cause otherwise I would have to open up Audition separately, work on the clip and then re-sync it the video in Premiere for all the audio clips, won't I?

Return to posts index

Kevin Anton
on Apr 16, 2019 at 7:29:21 pm

Might not help, but just an idea:
Is After Effects still open when you're rendering in Premiere? It might have a hard time rendering a dynamic-linked clip if it thinks that clip is actively being edited in AE at the same time. This shouldn't be an issue, but just in case, try quitting AE while rendering the clip in Premiere.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Apr 17, 2019 at 3:34:03 am

Oh I'm not sure if it was every attempt I made, but it was during the last one, yes. I just tried rendering the clip without it open and it worked actually, so that worked! I still exported a copy of the scene from AE anyway, but at least I know it seems to work without AE open. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kevin Anton
on Apr 17, 2019 at 4:04:32 am

Good to hear.

For what it's worth, I don't know what the others are talking about, I use PP-AE-PP dynamic linking *extensively* and I almost never have technical problems with it. It's actually the main reason I opt for Premiere for any given job. Being able to quickly pop a clip into AE and do work on it without ever having to export anything is super nifty, and the ability to quickly make tweaks to that work later without re-exporting is invaluable.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Apr 17, 2019 at 4:44:03 pm

I agree. I do use DL between PPro and AE a lot. There are times, however, that it does become quite slow. So when that happens, I just render out the clip from AE and place it ABOVE my linked AE comp in PPro. Just so I can easily Right-click,Edit Original, and be back in AE and make changes - then render, repeat. ☺
TC

Return to posts index

Kevin Anton
on Apr 17, 2019 at 5:06:01 pm

Oh yeah, my workflow is usually to duplicate the clip onto the track above and then replace that clip with a linked AE Comp, that way I always have the original clip lined up on the timeline in case some media gets lost somewhere in the AE project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]