FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking media works when drive is connected to one computer, but not to another

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Markowitz
Relinking media works when drive is connected to one computer, but not to another
on Apr 10, 2019 at 4:17:21 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Markowitz on Apr 10, 2019 at 5:09:15 pm

Hi there,

Having an issue with relinking files, and not sure what could be causing this.

I have a project being worked on by myself and another in-house editor, along with a third editor working remotely. All three of us have all of the footage and media for the project organized into the same folder structure on our hard drives. The remote editor started a Premiere project to work on a first cut, and then sent the Premiere project to myself and the other in-house editor. When I opened the project and relinked all the media, everything worked perfectly. However, when the other in-house editor relinked all the media, he ended up with all the clips in the timeline getting diagonal danger lines, and everything being out of sync (all the media was reconnected, but the in and out points had all shifted).

We tried connecting his hard drive to my computer (we're all working on Macs), and all the relinking worked correctly. So something on his computer or in his Premiere seems to be causing it, not the media or project file itself. We've tried clearing the cache and trashing user preferences, but his Premiere still often has issues relinking things. Any suggestions? And please let me know if you need any more info. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Relinking media works when drive is connected to one computer, but not to another
on Apr 11, 2019 at 5:18:10 pm

To pull this off successfully, the drives have to have PRECISELY the same name, and the media location must PRECISELY follow the identical file path. If you don't have that, you'll have problems.

It would also be EXTREMELY helpful to have all editors using the same kind of platform.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Markowitz
Re: Relinking media works when drive is connected to one computer, but not to another
on Apr 12, 2019 at 2:12:55 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for your response! I completely understand that, and have definitely dealt with that kind of issue in the past.

The issue here is that the file path and file names are the same, because it's one drive that we're testing this with -- when the drive is plugged into one computer and we open the project and relink all the media, it works perfectly, but when this same drive is plugged into another computer and we open the project and relink all the media, we get danger lines and things out of sync. Both computers are running the same version of Mac OS and the same version of Premiere. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]