FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why are my png sequences bigger than my original video files??

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Lucero
Why are my png sequences bigger than my original video files??
on Apr 9, 2019 at 10:27:13 pm

So I'm working on a 4k music video where I had to key out an entire green screen background. There are 5 band members. I shot each member separate and planned to overlay them throughout the video. My problem is when I export the keyed out clips into .png sequences using Adobe Premiere they are bigger than the original video files... My HD space is immediately eaten up. One band member's original files are a total of 14.35GB That's not bad to me considering it was shot in 4k and almost each clip is about 3 to 4 minutes in length. Now here's the major problem..This same band members exported clips which are now .png sequences with all of them combined are a whopping 545.96 GB!!! That's like a whole quarter or more of an entire Hard drive. What can I do? There's no real settings telling me how big these .PNG sequences will be when I export them. It's not like a regular video codec where you can kind of get an estimate of how large the file will be before you export it. I'm at loss here. Not to mention it takes 5-6 days for each band member to export fully. I just got the notice today on my desktop saying there wasn't enough space on my HD to finish exporting one of the other band members. Is there anyway to compress these files down some? like maybe back to their original file size ? And still maintain their transparency? Please if anyone knows of a way or a solution. I'm scouring the internet everywhere for an answer on this. There has to be a better way of exporting these with transparent backgrounds.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Why are my png sequences bigger than my original video files??
on Apr 10, 2019 at 10:49:02 am

Most likely, the PNG's, frame by frame, are less compressed than your camera originals, frame by frame. Hence the difference in file size.

Plus, adding alpha channel information will increase file size. It's now a 32 bit file.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Why are my png sequences bigger than my original video files??
on Apr 10, 2019 at 8:53:51 pm

Not sure why you are exporting still images when working on video. Use a video codec that supports alpha channel, like Cineform and export to that, should be much smaller than thousands of hi-res still images.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]