FORUMS: list search recent posts

DnX with 5.1 mix

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Machilles
DnX with 5.1 mix
on Mar 19, 2019 at 9:34:24 pm

I'm typically an offline guy (and on Avid) so forgive me for my lack of knowledge here.

I've got a DNxHR HQ 444 from Color and a 5.1 mix from Audio, I go to output and it doesn't seem like DNx supports 5.1 output through Premiere? Or at least when I set all my export options to DNx and I switch to the audio tab all I get is the "Basic Audio Settings" dropdown menu and no 5.1 option.

I switch to Pro Res and my audio export settings open up and I can switch my output channels between Stereo and 5.1

I could've sworn DNx supported surround sound, or is that incorrect? Is there something I'm missing. Since this was originally output and graded in DNxHR HQ 444 I'd love to keep it that way if it's possible, or am I forced to switch to Pro Res? Will that mess with anything?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: DnX with 5.1 mix
on Mar 20, 2019 at 12:21:24 pm

It's not a question of whether the codec (DNx) will support the 5.1, but rather the container options available. DNx is purely a video codec. So you are limited to what Adobe makes available for its exports and what the various container format standards are. I think you will need to use one of the DNxHR/DNxHD MXF OP1a selections. Then set your channel options to 6 channels.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ted Machilles
on Mar 20, 2019 at 1:04:09 pm

Ah yes, that makes sense. Thank you.

So now, even less of my expertise is in Dolby/surround. Will a 6 channel MXF export work as a 5.1 output? As in, if this is turned into DCP (I believe that's their plans) will the 5.1 carry through in the 6 channel output or would it play fine in a surround sound setting?

My idea was to not switch from DNxHR HQ 444 to Pro Res 4444. However, at this point considering my available options, maybe I should just make the switch to use the Quicktime container and keep the 5.1 mix intact. I've never had reason to make the switch before but from what I'm reading elsewhere, Premiere and/or Media Encoder can make the change without any color issues as long as I am particular about which boxes are checked/unchecked.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 20, 2019 at 1:19:13 pm

[Ted Machilles] "Will a 6 channel MXF export work as a 5.1 output? "

This boils down to what you have been asked to deliver. For example, if you are delivering a master to a distributor, they generally want track assignments to match a certain layout, like tracks 1-6 = channels L/R/C/Lfe/Ls/Rs. This should be supplied to you in a document of delivery requirements. As long as the configuration you send matches their specs, then it will line up at their end.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ted Machilles
on Mar 20, 2019 at 1:26:11 pm

Yeah that's fair, thanks. I'll just wait until I get the spec sheet. This project was a little out of my wheel house so I've been jumping ahead of myself for no reason since the beginning.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]