FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to solve lag in CS4

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicole Smith
Trying to solve lag in CS4
on Mar 18, 2019 at 3:54:14 am

It's been a year or two since I last used premiere pro, but it seems to be having a lot of issues I can't work out. The biggest issue is lag. When I press play nothing happens for a bit and then it will skip through the video. Audio seems to play fine but the video is impossible to edit. I know it's an older version than what most people on here are using but was wondering if anyone has any idea what I can do? I also can't seem to get the video to use the same aspect as the clips, but that's a secondary problem I can deal with later.

I've tried clearing the cache and checked that my drivers are up to date. There's nothing dragging the CPU down so that doesn't seem to be the culprit either.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Trying to solve lag in CS4
on Mar 18, 2019 at 10:17:59 am

Nicole, we need more information about your computer and footage you are working with. Look at my signature below to give you some idea of what we need to get started. Consider adding your information to your post signature, so it is always there when you post a question.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Mar 18, 2019 at 10:27:28 am

Nicole, we need more information about your computer and footage you are working with. Look at my signature below to give you some idea of what we need to get started. Consider adding your information to your post signature, so it is always there when you post a question.

Also, given the advanced age of CS4, updated drivers could actually be part of the problem. The hardware CS4 "expects" is all pretty much junk now.

System:
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
256GB SSD system drive

Return to posts index

Nicole Smith
on Mar 18, 2019 at 12:31:36 pm

I was worried the drives might be a problem, but I obviously can't sacrifice the rest of the computer for CS4 so hopefully there's a work around of some kind.

Processor: Intel i3-4130
Windows 7 64 bit
16GB RAM
Adobe CS4 Creative Suite
1TB HDD
Using MP4 for this project but couldn't import that normal files so had to run them through handbrake once to get usable MP4 files

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Mar 18, 2019 at 6:57:31 pm

Here are a couple of possibilities. . .

MP4 (which often is h.264 codec) is very processor intensive, and the i3 might not be up to the task.

Based on your system description, it appears you only have a single hard drive, and you are trying to play back footage on the same drive the application is running on. This is not recommended. Your processor is working with the drive to "unpack" the compression on those files at the same time your application is trying to run off the same drive. It might just be a bit too much for the system. Not to mention cache files also coming off the same drive.

Adding a second drive for the project and footage would have a shot at making a difference. That is the first thing I would do.

I am sure lots of folks would tell you to dump CS4. I also still have a copy of it on an older home machine, and use it now and then. But, to be fair, it is getting very "long in the tooth."

System:
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
256GB SSD system drive

Return to posts index

Nicole Smith
on Mar 19, 2019 at 1:53:53 am

I believe I changed the footage to h.264 in handbrake to be able to use it. I'm not entirely sure what the original codec is but premiere pro said it couldn't read it. The clips themselves play fine in premiere pro, but the parts in the actual project timeline don't.

I'll see if I can rig one of my external hard drives to help some. If that doesn't work and it's definitely a hardware problem I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it... I don't use premiere pro half as often as photoshop and soundbooth which both work fine and I simply can't justify the expense of the newer versions of the creative suite.

Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Lee Doucet
on Mar 26, 2019 at 3:30:09 am

CS4 has no hardware decode support, and you didn't say what the birtate of those MP4 files are. Is that footage from a smartphone or consumer camcorder (which maybe XAVC-S or AVCHD)? Those are low bitrate files. Even a Laptop HDD can handle that, frankly.

4th Gen i3 is quite low end, even for CS4, when using that type of footage.

You will get better performance transcoding that to a Digital Intermediate Format: ProRes, DNxHD/R, Cineform, Grass Valley (Canopus) HQ[X], etc... Maybe XAVC-Intra? Whichever CS4 supports, in that order.

CS4 is pretty old, and I always hesitate to tell people to upgrade - especially with Adobe apps, given the change in business model since then...

But those files would almost certainly work out of the box with a current version of Premiere Pro CC. I've personally never been satisfied with the way videos look after running them through Handbrake :-(

Return to posts index

Nicole Smith
on Mar 26, 2019 at 12:39:51 pm

I don't use it often enough to justify any sort of upgrade, especially not to the subscription version. Photoshop and Soundbooth run fine, it's just Premiere Pro giving me trouble. I might look into upgrading the processor, though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]