FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text renders out with very poor quality

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivan Ivanov
Text renders out with very poor quality
on Mar 6, 2019 at 3:41:13 am

I am completely blown away by this issue...

Top line is a frame exported directly from the timeline. Bottom line is a still from what the actual video looks like after the export. The text almost looks as if it has a stroke applied to it which it does not as you can see from the top line.

I have tried every possible combination - ProRes, H.264 at 50Mbps, Checking "Render at Maximum Depth" & "Use Maximum Render Quality", imported the text as a PSD, used the title graphics in Premiere, upscaled the text to 4K and then downscaled back to 1080p, using Mercury Software only, using GPU acceleration (OpelCL).... I just don't know what else to do. I've tried it all. My pixel aspect ration is set to square pixels and fields is set to "no fields (progressive)".

Please help!! I need to deliver this video to my client ASAP and I cannot deliver garbage like this.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Text renders out with very poor quality
on Mar 6, 2019 at 7:20:38 am

Looks like a chroma subsampling issue. Try exporting one frame as a maximum depth TIFF file and see how it looks.

Return to posts index

Ivan Ivanov
on Mar 6, 2019 at 7:41:59 am

I tried that too and it looked great but once I re-import the tiff sequence back into premiere and try to export as a video file - in any codec/compression - it looks the same again

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 6, 2019 at 8:35:50 am

Yep, so it's probably a chroma subsampling issue and due to most web codecs being 4:2:0 you'll sometimes get this small border showing between certain colors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

Return to posts index

Ivan Ivanov
on Mar 6, 2019 at 8:48:32 am

Hey Tero, thank you so much for helping me out with this. I am definitely going to research the subsampling issue into more detail but in the meantime is there an easy fix for that in Premiere/Encoder so I can get this done asap since it's already so late?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 6, 2019 at 10:02:58 am

You really can't do anything with this unless you're exporting and people are watching it in a format that has all the color resolution in it ie. a format that uses 4:4:4 (or maybe even 4:2:2) chroma subsampling.

Return to posts index

Ivan Ivanov
on Mar 6, 2019 at 10:41:32 am

Then what about changing colors? Or fonts? Would it make any sense to do that or is there no way around it?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 6, 2019 at 11:07:32 am

You could try making the font color less bright and see if you get the same kind of bleed.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 7, 2019 at 6:43:17 pm

Tero is correct. When working inside the computer, every pixel can have its own unique color assigned. However, with compressed video output formats you have either a 4:2:2, or more likely a 4:2:0 color space which means a LOT of the color data has been discarded unfortunately. That is done to prevent HUGE video files.

So rather than each pixel having it's own unique color, like either red or pink exclusively, neighboring pixels of different colors are forced to "share" a common color, perhaps an average of what each pixel ought to be by itself. Meaning you can't get a clean transition from one solid color to another. In a typical video frame (or photo image) this lack of color fidelity does not manifest itself so obviously as we see with the solid color text and would go unnoticed to the viewer.

To help clean this up, try reducing the chroma in the text. For instance, each of the 3 color channels (Red, Green, Blue) in the title can have a value between 0 and 255. The closer to 255, the more "saturation" or chroma you have and the more likely it will give you trouble. For instance, one might use "pure" red at 255 thinking it looks really nice on the computer, however you might find that lowering to say 235 won't look that much different on the video output, while potentially providing better results.

Thanks

But definitely, you will need to make some kind of changes to the color scheme or you will continue to fight this issue.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 7, 2019 at 6:56:55 pm

I opened your image in Photoshop and checked the text color and red was at 239, so not bad. However the green and blue channels are 32 and 36, so the image is primarily RED. One trick is to increase the other colors equally, for instance using 60 for both green and blue and you will be surprised to find that the color is not that visually dissimilar to the original, but being less saturated it might behave better.

One trick I have heard of that could help with situations like this is to ADD NOISE to the image, so it is not just two solid colors crashing directly into one another. The noise will make the image look more organic to the encoder and that might work better.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]