FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere-to-Resolve Metadata Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Jones
Premiere-to-Resolve Metadata Workflow
on Mar 4, 2019 at 10:36:37 pm

Hello!

I'm working as a Data Wrangler/AE on an indie feature in which the editor is cutting in Premiere, and the colorist is coloring in Resolve. We are recording to an Atomos Shogun external recorder that does not allow us to embed reel names into the recorded files (or, if it does, we don't know how to calibrate this feature – please help). This is usually fine for me because I do not need the reel names to ingest, transcode, and create dailies, however, our colorist does need the reel names in order to correctly conform the media further down the road. After researching through tons of forums and watching many tutorials on metadata, I have yet to find a way to both embed a reel name in a clip that does not have this data (as well as the proxies) and to have this reel name stick between Premiere and Resolve.

I have tried these methods so far to no avail:
- Create custom ingest setting in Premiere/Media Encoder to embed custom Reel number in the proxies on ingest
- Add reel number in Tape Name column in Premiere and create proxies from the clips with this data
- Bring clips into Resolve first, assist Reel Name in Clip Attributes, create proxies from these clips
- And several slight variations between the three

Does anyone know of any workflows or programs used to create and preserve metadata between NLE's?

Thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Premiere-to-Resolve Metadata Workflow
on Mar 5, 2019 at 12:32:49 am

This is incorrect. You don't need reel names for Resolve. However, you do need unique files names and proper timecode. This may require you to transcode some of the camera formats. You may also have to batch rename your clips so that each clip has a unique name.

The other issue is frame rate. So if your "base" rate is 23.98 for example, but you have some footage at 29.97, then one of 2 things must happen. A) Either that footage must be transcoded and adjusted to 23.98, or B) the editor must take it in as 29.97 and deal with it as slomo. You should NOT modify the frame rate in Premiere or Resolve bins, using the "interpret" function, otherwise, timecode calculations will be wring in the roundtrip.

The XML from Premiere to Resolve should take care of everything for you and everything should relink just fine.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: Premiere-to-Resolve Metadata Workflow
on Mar 5, 2019 at 7:37:38 am

As Oliver says, the xml contains the info to link & beware changing frame rates via interpret footage.

The colorist *may* want reels for c mode sorting - but they can handle that themselves in Resolve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]