FORUMS: list search recent posts

Baffled by encoding times for rendered timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve dann
Baffled by encoding times for rendered timeline
on Mar 3, 2019 at 11:28:05 am

Premiere Pro CC 12.1.2 on 2016 Macbook Pro with 1TB SSD

I'm editing a variety of video formats onto a XDCAM 422 1080/50i timeline and usually render as I go. Content includes phone variable frame rate progressive footage and all sorts. I had to time remap some of the phone video and chose optical flow for best quality. This took a while to render, which I expected, but with a timeline showing green render lines everywhere it took a really long time to encode to H264 and to MXF for export to a SxS card.
This was definitely caused by the pre-rendered optical flow slo mo section but why so slow, given, I'd have thought that the heavy lifting has been done already?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Baffled by encoding times for rendered timeline
on Mar 3, 2019 at 5:15:50 pm

Did you try enabling "Use Previews"?

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Mar 9, 2019 at 9:08:46 pm

I did not. Good idea. Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Heiser
on Mar 11, 2019 at 6:22:39 pm

"Use Previews" only applies if you're encoding to the same format as your previews - it doesn't prevent rendering again. Check "use previews" in conjunction with checking "Match Sequence Settings" at the top of the Export Media dialogue, and your export should go very quickly. (This is called Smart Rendering.) So if your 1080 sequence is set to create I-frame MPEG previews, you'll get a 1080 MPEG file which you can use to make other files in AME. I set my previews to QuickTime ProResHQ, so when I finished my project, I export using Match Sequence Settings and Use Previews to make a PRHQ master file, and open that in AME to make deliverables.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/smart-rendering.html

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas
Birmingham

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 11, 2019 at 7:13:36 pm

Use previews helps even if you're not exporting to the same format. If you have a bunch of effects the export will go faster if you have previews already rendered. Just use a good enough preview format that you won't do any extra compression on the way.

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Mar 11, 2019 at 7:21:31 pm

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction This all makes sense. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]