FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best breakout box for Premiere AND Resolve

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Allen
Best breakout box for Premiere AND Resolve
on Feb 28, 2019 at 7:37:06 am

Hi All,
Speccing a new editing PC and trying to work out the best break-out solution. I currently have a Decklink mini-monitor, but my audio is routed separately resulting in massive lag. Does anyone know of any solution to allow:
1. Full screen colour correction in Resolve
2. Full screen playback in Premiere - which stays in sync with the audio.

I came across the Avid Artist DNxID, made in conjunction with Black Magic, which appears like a cross between an Mbox and a mini-monitor and would keep the video and audio in sync.... but there's suspiciously little about this box online.

Any thoughts appreciated as just feels like a user requirement that surely others are facing.
Thanks,
Paul

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Best breakout box for Premiere AND Resolve
on Feb 28, 2019 at 6:23:16 pm

If you don't need to connect Media Composer, then one of the BMD UltraStudio models. I personally prefer AJA, but you must use BMD hardware for Resolve.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Mar 2, 2019 at 4:07:20 pm

Thanks Oliver. Do you have any experience with the BM UltraStudio models in terms of routing picture and audio in Premiere and maintaing sync with the computer monitors?
Thanks,
Paul

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 2, 2019 at 4:24:04 pm

[Paul Allen] "Do you have any experience with the BM UltraStudio models in terms of routing picture and audio in Premiere and maintaing sync with the computer monitors?"

Generally I find sync to be a bit rubbery. Maybe 1-2 frames + or -. Part of that is because I don't use their audio breakout cable, but rather a Presonus Audiobox USB interface. It has also changed at times as Desktop Video software versions have changed. I've had to roll those back a few times.

Sync is much more solid when I use it with Media Composer. Overall, my sense is AJA products would be better. However, It's usually impossible to get perfect sync between the computer interface, the audio, and the output screen. One or the other has to be delayed. In many cases, it's the latency within the display itself and not the interface.

I really only use it for accurate color correction monitoring in Resolve. My normal operation is to send HDMI from the computer to a large Panasonic 1920x1080 flat panel display and make that another desktop display in macOS. Then in Premiere, assign that display to be for external video. This is in sync and reasonably color accurate in Rec709 and is a video signal, thanks to Adobe's Mercury playback engine. This also works for FCPX. Then when I'm in Resolve, I switch the Panasonic to the B-input being fed from the UltraStudio. Plus, I also turn on my 17" reference display (SDI from UltraStudio) to monitor the correction.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Mar 2, 2019 at 9:00:48 pm

Thanks Oliver, that's extremely helpful. That set-up sounds similar to what I had landed on when I realised sync was going to be an issue for my client monitor. Only difference being that I'm on Windows and working with a third monitor can get a bit odd when the monitor is positioned above my 2 main editing screens. The other problem I'm now reading about online is that even if I route the audio and video together - and somehow achieve sync - the BM Ultrastudio has pretty loud fans which would be really annoying. Fingers crossed something new gets announced by BM this NAB that solves all these issues in one cheap breakout box!
Thanks again for your help,
Paul

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 2, 2019 at 10:17:45 pm

[Paul Allen] "the BM Ultrastudio has pretty loud fans which would be really annoying"

Yes. We have the UltraStudio Express - no fans, but only HD (no 4K). Just one of the reasons I prefer AJA. The other option is go both. AJA for Premiere and then get a cheap BMD MiniMonitor for when you are grading in Resolve. If you have Thunderbolt 2, you could get long optical cables (Corning Thunderbolt 2) if you wanted to put a louder UltraStudio into another room.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Mar 3, 2019 at 2:06:31 pm

That's a very interesting idea indeed, Oliver! Hadn't thought about that, but the idea of having 2 breakouts makes a lot of sense. The challenge is just that one link between Resolve and BM which shuts down 3rd party break-outs, but guess they need to make money somehow given the software is free (and amazing).
Thanks,
Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]