FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading to CC 2019 mid-project

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Tarpley
Upgrading to CC 2019 mid-project
on Feb 27, 2019 at 9:25:23 pm

I am in the middle of a feature length documentary and need to upgrade to Premiere Pro CC 2019. Are there any precautions that I should take when upgrading in CC? Will I be prompted to rename my project, and if so...should I rename or overwrite my existing project? In the past when upgrading from CS5 to CS6 I remember opening existing projects in CS6 and Premiere's default was to create a new project called "WhateverThePreviousProjectWas_1".
It feels messy to me to have different versions of a project, but if that is the norm, I'll push ahead. Any advice you all have on this is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Matt

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Upgrading to CC 2019 mid-project
on Feb 27, 2019 at 10:22:18 pm

What version are you upgrading from? Best approach might be to copy your project file to an archive drive or folder and label it "old". You can then update the project by overwriting the name. Alternatively just save an updated version with a new name. Also, when you update, there is a procedure to update Premiere and keep previous versions of the application, just in case you need to go back.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Matt Tarpley
on Feb 28, 2019 at 1:06:38 am

Thanks Oliver, I'm going from CC 2017 to CC2019.
When you say a "procedure" do you mean within the CC app where you can un-tick the box that says remove old app?
I appreciate your advice, I think I'll copy the old project file elsewhere so I can only have one project in that folder.
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2019 at 1:16:43 am

[Matt Tarpley] "When you say a "procedure" do you mean within the CC app where you can un-tick the box that says remove old app?"

According to Adobe from one of their forum replies: "As you want to keep the old version of Photoshop, once you click on Update a prompt will appear where you'll see Advanced Options. Click on Advanced Options to expand the choices, you will be able to keep the older version. Also your settings will transfer to the updated version."

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Matt Tarpley
on Feb 28, 2019 at 1:21:29 am

Thanks Oliver...I'll do that!

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Feb 28, 2019 at 12:04:53 pm

Just in case - you want to be running Windows 10 (if you're on a Windows machine) if you're going to 2019. Adobe dropped support for Win7/8 with that version.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Matt Tarpley
on Mar 1, 2019 at 1:18:27 pm

Thanks Jon, I'm running Mac Mojave 10.14.3
Are you aware of any upgrade issues to CC 2019 related to Mojave?

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Mar 1, 2019 at 6:17:56 pm

I'm running 2019 on Mojave on MacPro (Late2013). Had no issues with the upgrade. Although, with our Enterprise license, I'm on not the latest version of 2019 - apparently blocked from updating until they push it out... So I can't say about the last 2(?) updates.
TC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 28, 2019 at 6:02:45 pm

The common wisdom remains, "Never, EVER change software versions in the middle of a big project."

Those who do it successfully are few and far between.
A typical user spends more time getting the new version running properly than (s)he does getting the project completed.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2019 at 6:11:47 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Feb 28, 2019 at 6:27:09 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Those who do it successfully are few and far between."

While that's generally sound advice, it's highly impractical for many. I've been the de facto senior editor/sys admin for 9 Adobe CC workstations (Mac) for over 3 years and never had any major problems in doing that. Generally better in the last year or two. Third-party plug-ins are often the biggest issue. You have to keep everything current - OS, third-party apps, plug-ins, CC, etc.

Of course, the bigger the jumps in versions at any given time, the greater the risk. I've seen issues with Lumetri settings in some cases. It's best if you update regularly and incrementally update the project file accordingly. But that's why I recommended keeping the old app and project versions - as a safety measure.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 28, 2019 at 6:31:44 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 28, 2019 at 6:33:02 pm

A few questions:
How long have you been doing this stuff? Think you've been around the block a couple-three times?

How many seats of an editing application do you run?

Is there an IT Person on staff, or a person who could qualify as one?

This line of questioning goes to depth of experience and the knowledge acquired by it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2019 at 6:55:48 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "A few questions:"

Who are you asking?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 1, 2019 at 2:55:02 am

[Oliver Peters] "Who are you asking?"
You, sir.
Many people aren't in the editing trenches, accompanied by others, day after day for a long time as you are.
What's a cakewalk for you may be perilous for others. Which is why I counsel the OP to wait before upgrading. It can't hurt.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 1, 2019 at 1:20:37 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 1, 2019 at 2:59:16 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "You, sir."

OK. Well, I wasn't trying to be argumentative, but to say never upgrade mid-project is a bit of a knee-jerk comment that isn't always possible. I always have projects going on, so in my case, there never would be a time when an upgrade wouldn't be mid-project. Matt started the thread saying he needed to upgrade, hence, my advice to back-up the project file and keep the old copy of the application. That's the insurance measure.

As far as your questions, I've been in the industry almost 50 years and dealing with computers since the 80s and NLEs since the first Avid systems. Along the way, I've dealt with many different NLEs on both Macs and PCs. I currently help to maintain a shop with 10 stations connected to a NAS, 9 of which are editing workstations. There is no IT person and I haven't worked with staff IT personnel or staff engineers for years. In our shop, those things are maintained by a couple of the more savvy users (including me) and sometimes some freelance support (such as for the NAS set-up). Hope that clarifies.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 1, 2019 at 3:36:05 pm

That, sir, was my suspicion -- you've been doing this stuff since you were darned near a baby. There are few things that will surprise you and that you can't handle.

I wish that were my case! And I'm sure others feel the same. That's why your presence in this forum is so welcome.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 1, 2019 at 4:33:03 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "That, sir, was my suspicion"

No problem and thanks for the kind words. Admittedly I've also held off upgrades in the middle of large, ongoing projects. Plus, jumping several versions at once, rather than incremental updates can be a greater risk. Naturally none of us know what the other hardware/software factors are. So it's always a bit of a roll of the dice.

In the case of Mojave, I've upgraded to that on my home machine and it's been fine. However, there are things that I don't like about it - no deal breakers, just things that I feel are a step backwards. So have opted to hold at 10.13.6 on the studio's machines.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Matt Tarpley
on Mar 1, 2019 at 1:22:37 pm

Thanks for weighing in Dave, so you're suggesting that I continue using CC 2017 on my current system (running Mojave OS version 10.14.3 until the project is complete? Do you see any problem with upgrading to CC19 while keeping CC 2017 in case I have any issues with the project?
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 1, 2019 at 3:31:29 pm

I can't tell you how many times I have read that it may be the worst idea ever to upgrade software in the middle of a project. I have read more tales of woe about this than I can remember.

I, for one, would never do it. I don't think anyone ever should... which includes you.

Resist the lure of sparkly, new software. Wait until you're between projects to upgrade. Once you get the issues with the new software worked out, you'll be ready for a new project.

Do you have 20-years-or so experience with Adobe software?
Can you ace the final exam for IT expert?
Do you have ready access to people who you KNOW can solve tricky hardware/software issues?

If you do, hey, give the upgrade a shot -- you'll solve the issues quickly. BUT -- if you're facing a deadline or you can NOT say yes to the questions above, you upgrade at your own peril.

In short -- DON'T DO IT! WAIT!!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Matt Tarpley
on Mar 1, 2019 at 4:45:32 pm

Thanks Dave, I'll hold off then. I have two identical work stations (at home and work) and have upgraded my work computer to CC19 per my organizations request. I will continue to run cc2017 on my home computer (where I'm working on this feature length project). After hearing from you all, I wish I could revert my work machine back to cc17, but I'm assuming that isn't possible.
I appreciate the help and advice!

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Mar 1, 2019 at 4:34:46 pm

Bad idea upgrading to a new version mids a LARGE project.
You can run into all sorts of problems you dont want to deal with during such a project.

Why do you need to upgrade to 2019.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Matt Tarpley
on Mar 1, 2019 at 4:49:22 pm

I don't need to upgrade to CC19 on my home machine, but I work for a university and was asked to upgrade my work computer's software to 2019, so I have. Most of my work projects are short-form and relatively quick turnaround, unlike this feature length project that I'm in the middle of, so I'm not too worried about any disasters on those projects. I wish I would have waited to upgrade my work machine but I'll push ahead while only opening this feature-length project on my home machine. Thanks for asking.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 4, 2019 at 8:38:17 pm

[Matt Tarpley] "I don't need to upgrade to CC19 on my home machine, but I work for a university and was asked to upgrade my work computer's software to 2019, so I have. Most of my work projects are short-form and relatively quick turnaround, unlike this feature length project that I'm in the middle of, so I'm not too worried about any disasters on those projects. I wish I would have waited to upgrade my work machine but I'll push ahead while only opening this feature-length project on my home machine. Thanks for asking."

You can have multiple versions of Premiere installed at the same time. There's nothing stopping you from installing CC19 for new projects, and maintaining your previous installation for your feature. That should also give you an idea of whether there's anything in CC19 that might be worth upgrading your feature project for.

[Matt Tarpley] "It feels messy to me to have different versions of a project, but if that is the norm, I'll push ahead."

Please make regular backups of your .prproj file, whether you upgrade or not! Stories like this one about crashes and project corruption [link] break my heart because they are completely preventable by backing up or versioning your project file.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Matt Tarpley
on Mar 5, 2019 at 12:53:13 pm

Thanks Walter! I didn't know that I could keep both CC17 ad CC19 installed at the same time. I appreciate your advice!
*I have lots of project backups, but totally understand your concern. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 5, 2019 at 3:35:52 pm

Just be sure to click "Advanced Options" when installing Premiere CC 2019 and unselect "Remove old versions."

If you've already uninstalled an old version, you can re-install it this way:
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.htm...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]